muncie trans. - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Does $450.00 sound reasonable for a 4-spd muncie trans? It is supposed to completely rebuilt. I do not know if it is a m-20 or 21 but it is out of a 68 chevy something. I see this guy at all the big swap meets and he seems to do a good buisness. I see Classic industries sells them for about 1,000. I dont want to buy the cheap one and find out I bought a piece of junk but 550.00 is alot of money to save.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 01:42 PM
Senior Tech

If you trust the seller go for it. Thats a pretty darn good price if its totally rebuilt.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 02:21 PM
Tech Team
BARRY

Send a message via AIM to BARRY
JUST TO GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO GO BY, I BOUGHT A M-20 RECENTLY OFF OF A GUY I HAVE KNOWN FOR ABOUT 25 YEARS. THE TRANNY HAS NOT BEEN IN A CAR SINCE 1976, HAS NEVER BEEN APART AND LOOKS LIKE NEW. IT CAME OUT OF A GTO AND NOT MANY MILES AT ALL. IT HAS A BRAND NEW HURST SHIFTER AND NEW LINKAGE. I PAID 750.00 FOR IT, BUT FACTOR IN THE COST OF A NEW SHIFTER AND THAT'S ABOUT WHERE YOU WOULD BE. THE ONLY REASON I PAID THAT IS BECAUSE I KNOW THE GUY AND HAVE BEEN TRYING TO BUY THE THING FOR THE PAST 15 YEARS, AND HE FINALLY PRICED IT!! I MAY HAVE PAID TO MUCH, BUT AT LEAST I KNOW WHAT I HAVE. JUST A LITTLE INFO FOR YOU TO GO BY. GOOD LUCK

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thanks for the info guys. I am going to check it out this weekend.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 04:51 PM
Senior Tech

Just be sure to remove the side cover and check the cluster gear, If you see any damage to it I would pass.Also the gears and syncros should have sharp edges with no rounding of them.And look at the magnet at the bottom of the case for metal pieces, some shavings are ok but any large stuff means that damage has occured.

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 02:23 AM
Senior Tech

be carful there are a lot of definations of rebuilt. I worked at a trans shop and they defined rebuilt has go to the used parts room and get what you need .
I define it has new bearing, seals,sycro's and replacement of any worn or busted gears.

does it come with a warratty!

------------------
stock? 67
hidden 69
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 01, 06:48 AM
Kevin

68RS, Buying transmissions apart from cars is a gamble at best. I paid $600 for a "Z28" M-20, rebuilt with new parts at a swap meet. Did my due diligience, talked him down from $650, had him open the case, it looked very good and did have new parts, turned well and it included shifter, bellhousing, flywheel & core clutch. I thought it was a decent deal. All the numbers were correct for a May 69 Camaro, except for the side cover, which I bought a correct one at another vendor. Well.....

Sent the trans to Jerry MacNeish for him to check out, seems the trans was under water for a time and ALL the gears were pitted except for the reverse (one of the new parts) and you couldn't see the pitting until the parts were cleaned. Kurt S. from CRG just happened to be there when Jerry found the pitting, we were all surprised at the condition. All the other new parts were crap overseas parts, they had to be all replaced. Since the trans was perfect for my May 69 SS I decided to get the new gears, Jerry did a fine job in getting the new stuff at the best price, but I still have over a grand in the trans (including purchase price).

I did not get a bargain at $600, Good luck on yours. Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69' Hugger Orange Z-21 ragtop 327/PG, Driver

[This message has been edited by KevinW (edited 01-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by KevinW (edited 01-25-2001).]
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 01, 11:51 AM
Senior Tech

Red face

Man you guys are scaring me. I bought a muncie from a guy for $175 dollars 3 years ago. It spun free and went into gear and I didn't see anything major when I opened the side cover. A number check says it's a 1965 (can't tell if it's a M-20, M-21, or M-22 without counting teeth on these) out of either a Vette, Chevelle, or Chevy II. The ones I've seen in the paper around here are going between $400 and $700 bucks. I know it needs a rebuild, so I guess I'll find out how bad it really is once I get it tore down.

------------------

Racer#00

Plain Jane 67
76 Trans Am Stock Car
74 Z28 (Basket case)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 01, 03:43 PM
Kevin

Racer#00, The early Muncie's (your 1965) only had a 7/8 in. counter shaft, and the later, I think 69 and up, had a 1 in. shaft. The early ones are considered weaker, so less desirable = lower cost. I had bought a 1966 muncie like you for $150 and sold it to a trans dealer for less then that to buy the 1969 M-20.

Good Luck, Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 01, 04:31 PM
Senior Tech

The early cases can be modified to use the 1 inch counter shaft, so I am told.

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 01, 03:44 AM
Senior Tech

Angry

Damn, and I thought I got a good deal! So what your saying is don't beat it. It's going behind a mild 355 in my 67. I don't know what kind of HP I'll be looking at, but
I'm shooting for 300-350 horse.

------------------

Racer#00

Plain Jane 67
76 Trans Am Stock Car
74 Z28 (Basket case)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 01, 03:58 AM
Kevin

Racer#00, What I said is that they are considered weaker, but not necessarily weak. Remember these tranys were put behind some pretty potent SBs in vettes.

I think Chevy made the 1 in. change when they started putting them behind BBs. If you are not concerned with numbers correct, your muncie should hold up OK.

Anyone out there have any stories of breaking them?

Of course, if you going to run 2.56s and run the RPM up to 5000 and dump the clutch, that would be a little rough on the trany (and all the rest), something is going to break sometime. If you drive reasonably and have a well set-up drivetrain, it should hold up fine. Kevin

------------------

[This message has been edited by KevinW (edited 01-26-2001).]
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 01, 03:34 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

I bet the guy you are talking about is MIke Kline. Right ? I bought an M21 from him last year. Although I have not had it out much - I can say it looked like a quality rebuild. He had a list of all the new parts he put in each tranny he had for sale. I pulled the side cover and that baby looked brand new. He even uses that pink assembly lube in all the right places. I think he has been building those things for years and could do it blind folded. Go for it. I did.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bh3chevy/Bobs_All_Chevy.html" TARGET=_blank>69 X22 Camaro
68 Camaro
72 Nova SS
82 Corvette
</A>
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 01, 12:41 PM
427L88

Guys, I'm late to this discussion, but hope I can add...

Top notch rebuilt Muncie should be around $800. I'm quoting the price at Old Man Engineering in Buffalo NY.

I just dols an M21 they did for me for 750. Buyer got a 1 yr parts warranty.

Whats the difference between the $400 rebuild these guys do ( assuming no major parts required ) and the guy who buys a $150 kit and swaps in new parts.

This was a 65 unit 7/8 countershaft. Two ways to go here. If the unit is good ( as mine was) they oring the countershaft bore and then set the countershaft by pinning it. All clearances are checked and the tranny is essentailly "blueprinted".

Or you can go with a 1" shaft and rebore the case. This allows you to move the gears closer toghether. I hear these jobs get a nice "whine" out of them.

Anyway, there is a difference in rebuild quality, just as in engines.

Having said that, my old M21 they they jsut rebuilt and came with my car, was missing a part causing 3rd to whine. I prolly would;ve missed it if I did the work myself. At any rate the point is, I beat the frickin tar out of that tranny and the old, missing ring Muncie never hiccuped. I mean dumb stuff..

( like 550 hp of L88 at 5000rpm clutch drops on slicks ).
So go figure...

Put my OME rebilt unit up on ebay with a 700 reserve. Yeah right, rebuilt Muncies there are 400 tops.

But if I need to drop at a high rpm on a real sticky track, or just the standard powershifts at 6800, I like to know my tranny was put together with the same care as my mill. Not just new parts put in. You dont want to doubt the gear. You want it bullettproof.

[This message has been edited by 427L88 (edited 01-28-2001).]
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 01, 05:28 PM

Ive got an early muncie[.875 shaft]that I just took out of my 68.Ive seen and heard of several of the muncies with the larger shafts cracking the cases in the web between the diameters in the case,due to there being less material there to take the stress.

------------------
68 candy brandywine 383dfi/T-56 87 monte carlo ss aerocoupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode