help need for 68 suspension - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 00, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

hello all im new to the board, and i just recently purchased a 68, its got 327 in it with a few goodies on it as well,,,, my question is, what the hell to do for suspension,, i like hrad good conering ride,,, what do u guys suggest?? without my wheels falling off??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 00, 06:06 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Welcome.
Best bang for the buck are poly bushings in the front A-arms and to a little less extent the rear shackles.
After that, best performance increase with big bucks would be to go to 16" or 17" wheels with low profile tires.
If you don't want to spend that much, but still want a little tighter handling, upgrade from a 5/8" to a 1" front sway bar.

Then, if you want to get really funky, you can lower the upper arm mounts (called Gulfstrand method), and also replace the front springs with lower profile/higher rate springs. This helps out bumpsteer or tire angle floating arc, I've heard on this board.

If you've ever build a 383 stroker or a really high torque engine, then you might go for solid subframe mounts.

Rear sway bars don't improve things much and sometimes can make things worse. I personally think coil-over helper shocks in the rear stiffen the mono spring setup real nicely. You may want to carry a 50# tool box in the back to smooth out the ride for passengers if you opt for coil-overs.

Recently, I've been considering changing the rear spring shackles on the back to a laterally stabilized type. Just saw them on the boob tube last weekend and haven't researched them yet.

See ya,
The Bone
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 00, 07:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

We had a lot of this going on last winter. I think 5 of us did our front suspensions together. Search the brakes and suspension section from last October on. (Also check DavidPozzi's website!!)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 00, 07:29 AM
Senior Tech

Welcome,

I've only been using this site for about a month and it is great! One suggestion...I probably would have posted your note in the "Brakes and Suspension" forum but the lines are pretty vague sometimes.

I can't say how any of this has worked, as I don't have my car running yet, but I rebuilt the whole front suspension with poly bushings and a 1-1/8" sway bar. I also did new ball joints and inner and outer tie rods. I think the poly bushings and the sway bar will have the biggest impact. I also did the rear bushings in poly.

I don't really expect to do real hard cornering but I did want to stiffen it up a little. I replaced all the springs also as mine were kind of rusted in place.

Tires are 245-60R-15s and I added disk brakes all the way around. I also changed the steering box to a 2-1/2 turn lock to lock number.

------------------
Mark M.
Red 67 Convertible
Red Deluxe Interior
383/Tremec 5 Speed
4 Wheel Disk
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 00, 10:10 AM
David Pozzi

Welcome,
I've put a lot of suspension and brake info and photos on my vintage Trans Am web page.

Check the past postings on the suspension section here.
David

------------------
Check my web page for suspension info:
David's Homepage
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 00, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the input everyone,, my ball joints r gettin replaced already,, and i am gonna order the bushings now,,, i am having a hrad time deciding on rims though,,, i was thinkin american racing torque thrust-2, in 17 inch,,,but it would take like 6 weeks for them to custom make em,,,,,,, grrrrr,,,, might explore other options,,, once the wheels and bushings and sway bars r in,, i will see how i like the ride and if i dont like it then i put some more goodies in it
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 00, 01:23 PM
Tech Team

Cool

I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring also.

About a month ago during my front disc swap, I changed out all rubber bushing with the polygraphite, and added a 1-1/8" front sway bar, and KYB gas shocks all around.

The difference between old and new is mind numbing. Even with the 235/60/15's on all 4 corners the car handles great. But be prepared for a couple of spilt cups of coffee, and a few loose teeth. Otherwise WELL worth the money. Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode