ruined heads? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 00, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Well. Like an idiot was doing some home polishing and did not put valves back in chambers. Did some minor sanding on valve seats on two valves. not much but I can tell where I hit them. Wondering if I ruined the heads or if there is a way to check before installing heads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 00, 07:34 AM
Tech Team

Go to Sears, or an automotive store like AutoZone, but get a kit to lap your valves. Our you could get a little suction cup (like something used to stick on walls, refrigerators, showers, etc.), and place it on a small straight stick or rod. Then purchase some soft valve grinding compound.

Uniformally place the valve grinding compound around the seating surface of the valve. Place the valve in the head. Using the rod or kit with the suction cup, place it on the valve and rotate it in a rapid fashion, kind of like twisting a stick between your hands trying to start a fire. (By the way, has anyone ever accomplished that?) apply lite to moderate pressure. When the valve grinding compound turns a different shade of gray, probably light gray, pull the valve out of the head, clean off the compound and inspect. You will be able to notice if the grinding compond hasn't affected any areas, indicating the area will not seal.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 00, 07:38 AM
Banned

bob,
Try hand lapping the slightly damaged seats with a very small piece of fine wet or dry emery paper or clothe held under an old valve and turned to lap the seat. When it "looks" good, put some marker ink on the seat and check the lap for uniformity. This isn't the best thing to do, but it beats canning a head or having to take it and its mate to the machine shop and do both heads to keep them balanced. pdq67

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 00, 10:39 AM
David Pozzi

Leak test after lapping the valve.
Install both valves and a spark plug and put some solvent into the chamber, see if it leaks into the port.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 00, 07:24 AM
Tech Team

Bob, do as you please, but I recommend my suggestion because there is a good possiblity that if seat isn't to bad scarred, lapping the seat will not only identify a problem but fix it as well.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 00, 03:14 PM
Bill

Bob,
I have seen more heads ruined from lapping compound than I would care to tell you, especially the "gravel" that comes in most of the lapping kits.
Take the heads to your machine shop and ask them to just touch up the couple of seats that you hit. Its about a 20 min job and really should not cost that much at all. Probably less than the price of the second set of head gaskets you will have to buy if you bolt the heads on and they are not right ! If you hit it with the sanding roll, you probably did enough damage to get it re-ground.
Just my opinion, and no... I am not trying to be a salesman for my fellow machine shop owners

PS: your e-mail address does not work.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode