Decoding build sheet/What to do with car?? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 00, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Where can I go to get information on or decode my buildsheet.Just trying to decide which direction to go with this car..FYI it is a 307 with a turbo 350 coupe,original engine/trans and I(my wife)is the third owner. Is it worth restoring or just pull original pieces(set them aside and keep) and make it a nice weekend cruiser. I am thinking of a 406 for it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 00, 08:30 PM
Senior Tech

I would hot rod it. These cars do not really have any intrinsic value as restored cars. Once a car is acquired, the cost of restoration will not be differ appreciably between a Z28, SS or base car with a 307. This assumes you are starting with cars in similar condition. Yet a restored 307 car would probably only be worth 1/3rd to 1/2 that of a restored Z28. So unless the car is an unbelievably pristine car I would put the original parts off to the side and do the car the way you really want. After all it takes a lot of time and money to do a car so you might as well do it the way you want.

Steve R.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 00, 12:25 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Thumbs up

when i got my 69 camaro, i got it, because "a", i won it in a bet, and "b", it was a 250 6 cylinder, and it wasn't really worth restoring because of the engine size and basically a bone stock car, so i decide to tub it. that was the main goal from the beginning. so if your car is basically a standard or bone stock car, do what you want to it. if it were mine, i'd say good bye to the 307 and hello to big block, but a 350 wouldn't do to bad either. do like steve said, hold on to the parts that you remove and keep them for a rainy day. you never know, somebody might need them some day.
just have fun with it.
good luck,
bruce

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 00, 02:36 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Talking

Personally, if the car is in good shape overall, I'd put a modern LT1/6 speed in it and make it look like a an SS or a Z28. Then drive it. 4.10 gears with 2 overdrives will give you ok mileage.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 00, 04:45 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Angry

I disagree that there is no intrinsic value... its a freakin 1969 Camaro. I don't know about in your area, but down here in Dallas, an original unrestored small block car in bad shape gets $3-5,000 depending upon how it is equipped. Most people put a cheapo paint job, new tires and battery in it and call it restored and ask $5-7,000.

Out hobby is starting to get real expensive and even these "undesireables" will be worth something as prices of the "desireables" go higher and higher. I agree that it will never be worth the same as a Z or big block car, but that's not the point. I also agree that it costs the same to restore a base model as it does to restore a Z.

I would keep all of the stock original parts and put whatever drivetrain you want. Someday, the car will have enough value for you to want to put the original drivetrain back in.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 00, 05:54 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

i pitty you guy's down in texas. i guess it's true what they say, everything is big in texas, including the price of a camaro. i'm not telling you that i paid 250.00 for my 69 camaro with the 6 banger. it was even in good shape. you can pick up a v-8 camaro around here that is in good shape for around, 1500-2500. i paid 2300.00 for my 68 camaro some time ago and that had a built 327 w/turbo 400,12 bolt posi w/ 4.10 gears, ladder bars, cowl induction hood, options.
maybe you should move up here.
by the way, go dallas cowboys.....#1
later,
bruce
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 00, 07:28 AM
Senior Tech

Try www.camaros.org to see if they can help decode your build sheet. There is a ton of information here on codes and also a place to ask code related questions.
My 2 cents about your car? Set it up the way you and your wife want it, but don't do anything permanent that you could not return to. Also, notice how many of these posts are from people who have strayed from the "original" setup and run into big headaches. Different brackets on the motor, different parts here and there. Some thrive on this stuff but these headaches drive me nuts. I also think these cars give us all great feelings and bring back great memories. If you don't like the car now, make changes. But if it has great memories for you, I would be careful turning it into a car you and your wife (never underestimate the support of your wife!) no longer "connect" with.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 00, 05:43 AM
Senior Tech
Kurt S

I can help you decoding the build sheet (I assume it is a broadcast sheet). I've done the most work on the 69 sheets, so you are in luck. Also, I would like a copy of your sheet if possible to help me further decode some of the codes.

Contact me [email protected] or [email protected].

Thanks!

------------------
Kurt S.
www.camaros.org

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 00, 10:57 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Bruce,

It's all those guys from the east coming down here bidding up the prices of our rust free cars. I don't see how they can afford the hobby, cutting out and replacing both quarters and tailpan out of their cars. That's got to add $3-5,000 to the price of a paint job.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 00, 01:45 PM
Senior Tech

Everyone has different taste. I would love to have a camaro with matching #s to take to the national's for point's,but unfortunately I have 2 that are not. So I fixed them up as close to original as possible with a little extra power. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you modify it, keep all the original part's.If you ever sell the car, the next person may want to buy it because the #'s match. There's not too many base coupe's left with matching #s because everyone try's to clone them into SS or Z28's.

------------------
NOTHING LIKE A 69 !!!!!

[This message has been edited by Pat's 69's (edited 03-06-2000).]
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 00, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input...I would love to tub the car but the wife says NO it is hers!! Besides I already own a Pro Street car..Anyway I think I will pull the engine/trans and set it aside for now..I am going to go with the 406 and 700R4..Now all I need to do is find a 400 and a tranny!! Thanks again for the help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode