subframe bolt-up - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 00, 12:07 PM

Question

New guy to the restoration hobby..wondering what the best way to bolt up the subframe so that it is square to the body.. dont want to start bolting on the front end and be a half inch off...Have got a 67 rs/ss and am starting to put it back together..any advise would be appreciated..thanks

[This message has been edited by [email protected] (edited 10-26-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 00, 12:41 PM
Team Member

If you don't have a factory assembly manual. Definately get one! it's a great reference for assembly.

The frame aligns to the body by installing 2 .610 dia pins into holes near the middle bushing. This worked great on my 69's. other people have had mixed results. A friend is using my pins on his '68 right now. You're right down the street so you can use them when he's done in a couple of weeks. If you can't wait let me know and we can work something out.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 00, 02:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

The pins will get you close. Then you should take some diagonal measurements to fine tune.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 00, 04:02 PM
67 camaro

does the factory assembly manual help out that mucis it really worth the money r u using poly sub bushings
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 00, 04:28 PM

Thumbs up

thanks for the responses..I've got a assembly manual and seen where the pins were used but it just didnt seem accurate enough..I figured squaring it up would work along with the pins but could not figure good points to measure from..thought about the corners of the cage nuts??..my main worry is when I go to put the front clip together and trying to adjust the subframe with the motor already in...unless I put the front together temporarly to see how close I am...Plus I figure there is room for error based on the fact that you need shims to line up everything anyways..Yes, I am using polyurthane mounts..set from Year-One..plan on using subframe connectors also...the assembly manual seems to be worth it weight in gold..haven'tused it much yet but when everything goes back together it will work good...took lots of picture to..

------------------

[This message has been edited by [email protected] (edited 10-27-2000).]
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 00, 09:12 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Pick up a copy of the Body By Fisher chassis manual for your car. All of the necessary dimensions you are looking for are in it.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 00, 03:06 AM
Tech Team

Where's the best place to pick up an assembly manual?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 00, 04:20 AM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

Swap meet!

------------------
John D. Smith
69' SS/396
www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 00, 05:18 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

Wink

Or if you are lazy like me they are available at all of the repro houses such as Ground Up, the sponsor of this site.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 00, 06:14 AM
Senior Tech

Racnfan5,

I live about 15 minutes from Lemont. I went to the Lemont cruise nights this past summer. There were some great cars there this year.

D&R Classic Automotive is located in Warrenville, IL. 800-472-6952. It is open on Sat. until 3:00PM, if you need a manual right away. Warrenville is about 45 minutes away.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 00, 07:09 AM
Tech Team

Does anyone know anything about this company? And, is $20.00 a fair price for an assembly manual? I just happen to find this company while doing a little surffing?
http://www.classicperf.com/gregs/assembly_manuals.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode