Tall BB Valve Covers - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 00, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: E.Bay CA
Posts: 181

Will the tall valve covers fit my 1968 Camaro with a 427 and power drum brakes. I have heard that the tall valve covers may have clearance problems hitting the large master cylinder. Which brand will fit? I am upgrading to roller rockers and may need the extra clearance of the tall valve covers.
rickmack is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 00, 05:35 AM
Senior Tech
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: denver, co USA
Posts: 407

I have an original 396 car and the valve cover on the driver side has a "left hand slant," which allows it to fit under the power brake booster. I am assuming this will work for your 427 also unless you are going to super tall valve covers which are different than stock height. When you log on to this site, you will see "parts specials" from Ground Up restoration parts. Click on that and go down to the big block valve cover kit. You can view the kit here. I have ordered and recieved the covers with the left hand slant and they are gorgeous!
denverRS/SS is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 00, 10:39 AM
Senior Tech
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: McKinney, Tx
Posts: 3,557

I just replaced the valve covers on 69' SS396. It also has power brakes, and I just
BARELY had enough room to make the short ones fit on the drivers side. It was a real pain,
I had to wedge it in there, and I was afraid it might leak, but I got lucky (so far)!
They were Holley aftermarket covers, and I don't see how the tall ones would fit, unless
they were sloped some way, like the previous
post suggested. Good luck!
kz1000ltd is offline  
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 00, 10:49 AM
Senior Tech
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Idaho
Posts: 219

You can also use the short valve covers and double up the gasket. I've never tried this but I've heard of it done. I also believe that Mr.Gasket or Felpro make double thick valve cover gaskets just for the purpose of allowing roller rockers.

67 Camaro LS6 454/TH400/12bolt 3.73
cardude is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 00, 03:54 PM
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: central city KY us.
Posts: 20

yes they make the thick valve cover gaskets for this type of upgrade just use the gaskets with the metal core sandwitch between the gasket material. they will seal anything and hold there shape too. good luck
toolbox is offline  
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome