67 grill fasteners - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I just bought the three piece standard grill from classic ,I want to know what is used to fasten the three pieces togather ????
rivets? if so are there a specail type?
also my car has a 68 grill now do I need anything else other than

3 piece grill
turn signals
bezels

------------------
stock? 67
hidden 69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 03:58 AM
Senior Tech

I am at this point right now with my '67. The fastners that hold the upper and lower molding to the grill are a special rivet that I think they listed as "hollow shaft rivets" at the hardware store. Basically, the top of the rivet is smooth and dome shaped so it looks like an umbrella. The post or shaft is hollow. There is a special tool that compressed this shaft and crimps it in place. Once you have crimped it, the compressed shaft looks like a doughnut. I hope this description makes a little sense. I had a hard time finding the rivets so you will have to go to that one hardware store that seems to have everything and you should find them. As a back up, the guy at the body shop said if I couldn't find them, they have large-head rivets that are black that they could install with a rivet gun just like any standard rivet. The difference is they won't have the "umbrella" type head on the one side.
By the way, if any restoration shops read this page, this would be a great little kit to offer that most of us could use.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 04:51 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I was given this guys name and address for he is supposed to have the rivits and the gun to install them. The name is:

Phil Reeds Classic Chev. motor Co.
10520 River Rd.
PO Box 14398
Kansas City Mo. 64152
816-587-1109 or Fax 816-587-6809.

There was also another name that was on the tag and it was Brad Steward. I have not talked to anybody there yet, so if anybody does would you pls. post any info.

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 05:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

I purshased a grill instalation kit for my 68 that came with all the screws and rivets. I think it was from NPD or Rick's, not shure.I haven't installed it yet so don't know what will be needed to install the rivets, I'm going to look at them today after work to see. Also I don't know if the parts are the same for a 67.
**Yes the kit has the rivets and comes for 67's also for around $5 from National Parts Depot. I might find a round chisel punch to install the rivets when time comes.

[This message has been edited by ORENCH (edited 01-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ORENCH (edited 01-24-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode