Help! w/a Cowl Induction Air Cleaner.... - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike H

Question

I recently purchased an original cowl induction air cleaner assembly (lid, flange, seal, base, extension, etc.) I believe this assembly is off of a Z28. I got a pretty good deal, but when i went to install it, it would not fit too well on the carb. It actuall hits the coil too.
I have a quadrajet and 350 motor. What gives?
Are the bases possibly made to fit the Holley carb only? I thought they were made to work on 350/4barrel's also...
It looks like if i had some sort of spacer on top of the carb where the base rests (not too much room here) it may work for me.
Help!
thanks in advance,
mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 01, 06:19 AM
Kevin

Mike, If you got cowl induction you had to get a different coil bracket. The cowl one leans the coil to the rear more to clear the air cleaner. I plan on bending and fabing a regular one to get it to fit.

The original 350 and Z28 cowl cleaners had 3/4 in breather nipple with a single 90 deg bend in it. The BB ones had a 1 in and the repro ones have 2 45 deg bend & 3/4 in. What do you have?

Also the is a lot of differences in the outside junk on q-jets, maybe it is hitting that. You have to check real close to see what it is hitting.

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69' Hugger Orange Z-21 ragtop 327/PG, Driver
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 01, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike H

kevin:
thanks for the info on the coil. My air cleaner base has the 3/4" 90 deg. bend in it. The area where it is hitting the q-jet seems to be at the front right, where the gas (plunger?) is located, which is puzzling, since all the q-jets ive seen look like this.
I did some more research and found out that the bases are the same for 350/302, so this is even more puzzling.....

still confused,
mike

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 01, 08:48 AM

I ran into the same type of problem. I fixed by getting an aftermarket carb spacer. It fits on the top of the carb and raises the air cleaner housing just enough that it will clear the coil, linkage and anything else that is binding. It looks stock. I believe that at one time GM offered a spacer.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 01, 09:15 AM
Senior Tech

There is a spacer ring that mounts on top of the air cleaner base so the gasket will mate and seal to the hood, SS 350's used a taller spacer than Z/28's being their intake was lower and big blocks used no spacer

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 01, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike H

thanks,
i am aware of the spacer ring for raising the 350 (low rise manifold) up a bit, but i havent even begun to tackle that yet. I still need to get it off of my carb!
Elon: do you know where i can get one of those spacers?
After that, i guess i will try a carb spacer under the carb (if needed) to raise it up some more.......
Any ideas why the q-jet wont fit?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 01, 11:49 AM
Team Member
John

The Q-Jet doesn't fit because you have the wrong base. There were three different bases - one for 350 4-speeds, one for 350 automatics, and one for all big-blocks and the 302. You should be able to find just a base in one of the catalogs. The extensions (big ring), hoses, elbows, and carb studs are also different between engines.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 01, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike H

John Z:
The information i have implies that there is only one base,
"Due to the taller engine height, the air cleaner assembly installed on big-block camaros required no spacer. The air cleaner baseplate fit both Quadrajet and Holley carburetors."
see the link here: http://www.camaro-untoldsecrets.com/...article_fs.htm
Also, the catalogs seems to sell only one base, not 3 different ones....
thoughts?

[This message has been edited by mr69 (edited 01-25-2001).]
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 01, 01:36 PM

I got my spacer from the local chevy dealer, which has a pro shop. I believe it is made by Edelbrock or a similiar company. The guy at the dealership knew exactly what the problem was. It sits on top of the carb, and is made of a hard nylon or plastic. I believe it was under $10. Hope this solves the problem
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 01, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike H

JohnZ:
I got a reply back from CRG and they second your comments about the different bases for 350 vs 302&big block cars.
I guess i'll have to consider a spacer or sell the one i have....

thanks for the help.
mke

[This message has been edited by mr69 (edited 01-26-2001).]
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 01, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike H

Well, i just thought i'd follow up on this post. I went ahead and tried to see what was keeping the base from sitting on the carb and i feel pretty stupid, but it was my radiator tower-style hose clamp!
There seems to be no problem fitting on the q-jet after moving it.
The coil bracket did need some mods though. I ended up cutting a slot in it where the bolts go thru, so that i could slide it back about 1/2". That did the trick and it is out of the way.
I also had to trim my accelerator rod about an inch for it to keep from hitting the base of the air cleaner.
Sorry for the confusion, but thanks for the help!

------------------
'69 Camaro Convertible
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 01, 02:58 PM
Team Member
John

As you just found out, there's a good reason why there's a note in the assembly manual that shows to position the radiator hose tower clamp 60 degrees inboard from vertical with the ZL2 air cleaner. The manual is only twenty bucks - best reference there is.

JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

[This message has been edited by JohnZ (edited 01-27-2001).]
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 01, 02:41 AM
Senior Tech

So is it correct that there is two bases, one for Q-jets and one for the holley carb? Can they be interchanged to work somehow? I have the open element air cleaner from my 69 z/28 on my 67 L35 Q-jet engine and it fit perfectly,

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 01, 04:22 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

There are three cowl induction air cleaners using 3 different bases. The two for the 350/300HP L48 engines differ in the use of the air preheater valve on the snorkel which is part of the base. These both differ slightly from the Z28/L34/L35/L78 air cleaner. I beleive that the difference is in the height difference between the bottom of the base and the carb flange. I think the 350 air cleaner base is higher (closer to the height of the carb flange) than the other type. When you use a Z28 base on a rochester carb the accelerator linkage and fuel lines need to be modified (bent) to clear the bottom of the air cleaner.

You can certainly fit a Z28 or a repro one (which is based on the Z28 model) without much more than bending the fuel line down and trimming the excess length off of your accelerator linkage.

By the way if anyone has a 350/300 automatic trans cowl induction base they want to dispose of let me know. I've been looking to replace my repro one for a while. (No there are none in the parts for sale section)

Thanks,
------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

[This message has been edited by Mark C (edited 01-28-2001).]
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 01, 10:00 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

SNORKEL Comparisons.....Would like to fabricate a Dual Snorkel(RARE)70'L-78 Air Cleaner. The Round Air Box is (nearly) identical to 70 Z-28. I've been told that the Cowl induction small block 69 Aircleaner uses same snorkel as Dual Snorkel 70 Camaro, Chevelle, Nova cleaner. I have ORIGINAL L-78 Cleaner as a pattern.....could someone send me the "rough" dimensions (and picture) of the 69 Snorkel so I can compare.....and is the repro snorkel a good copy of original.
I dont know why Classic Camaro wont have there vendor put the dual snorkel (L-78 type) on the 70 Z-28 Round air Box??? thanks,
Chuck/Seattle [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode