Oil Pressure Line Leaks - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 00, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Angry

Need some help here. Bought a new oil pressure guage line from local parts store and it leaked. Went to a plumbing shop to get a different ferrul for the compression nut (I took the guage with me), looked like it was gonna work, but when I fired the car up, it too leaked all over the floor. (Good thing I don't have the carpet in yet!!!) Has anyone ever had this problem? If so, how did you fix it? The line is copper and goes to the console oil pressure guage. Thanks in advance.

Lou

------------------
To see my car
www.angelfire.com/mo2/firedog122
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 00, 06:22 AM
Senior Tech

Had the same problem with the guage in my 69', it was a real pain too. Eventually, I got the leak to slow to a trickle, but the final fix was a little shot of silicone around the fitting. It hasn't leaked in several months. Don't overtighten the fitting to the guage, sometimes that causes the plastic hose to crimp, and then leak. Just get it snug, and put a little shot of silicone around it, and let it dry completely. Then see if it will hold! Good luck......KZ http://www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 00, 06:58 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
If the ferrul is seated properly (gotta push on the line to keep it seated) when you tighten the nut it should seal properly. Don't over tighten it and fire it up and check for leaks. If it is still leaking snug it until it stops...

I haven't replaced my nylon with the copper kit I got but have had the nylon on and off a few times with the same ferrul and no problems so far... Hope the copper is the same!

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
[email protected]

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 00, 10:29 AM
Senior Tech

I would cut a little off the end that leaks and try again with a new ferrel. It can be frustrating. Also, Autometer makes a steel braided line kit that is pre-assembled so all you do in screw it onto your gauge and the block.

Steve R.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 00, 05:50 PM
Tech Team

Angry

Lou M,
I know exactly how you feel. I had the very same thing happen when I first cranked my 69 Z after complete rebuild/restoration. I used the "copper" oil line, and before I knew it, pumped 2 quarts of oil in the pass side floorboard in 30 minutes! I had to re-tighten the he!! out of the fitting on the guage to get the ferrel to compress and seal the copper line. Just snug won't do. Get it tight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode