What to look for when buying a 1st gen - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 01, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

In addition to the cowl tag info, what are the main things to look for to determine the condition/quality of a 1st gen Camaro? Trunk and floor pan rust? How bad? Is light surface rust OK? Also, I read about using a refrigerator magnet to determine bondo work. Are there any other caveats to look for?

Thanks,

H-dog

P.s. Just read down further and got most of my answers from jvolk81s responses.

[This message has been edited by H-dog (edited 01-25-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 01, 02:49 AM
Senior Tech

Quarter panels, floors, bottom of doors, lower part of front fenders, upper dash panel, panel below rear window, trunk floor, radiator support below battery, subframe mounting plates, the list goes on............

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 01, 05:54 AM
Tech Team

Look for abuse, look under the dash at the wiring, if it looks stock that is great! If it looks like a mess, like 15 different people tried to wire radio's, gauges, alarms -stay way, to have someone sort out a short or broken accessories is a huge expense. If something is broke in the dash, chances are it's not a quick fix. Check every little interior light, lighter, glove box ect. If the dash is miss aligned, or if someone told you they had the dash out of the car, Drill them on why, remember faulty ignition switches arc, and cause fires!, I almost lost one to an ignition switch fire. Point is electrical systems are often over looked, and it is a critical mistake.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 01, 05:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Hey H-Dog

Are looking at another car. If so what have you found? I know you have a ragtop, did you see the 68 ragtop posted on this site that's in Rutherfordton. It looked pretty good for 12k.

------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 01, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

rojo,

A young lady (early 30's) in my church knows of a '69 Camaro and asked me about what to look for. The reason I am asking these questions is when I bought mine, I was totally ignorant and bought due to the appearance and story behind it. I lucked out, in that there is only one small bubble at the right front fender well. Everything else is good (had a body man look it over and he commented about how great the body was.) I did rewire the dash and engine harness due to butchering of the wiper motor circuits, and just recently had to replace the heater core (what fun that was! NOT!!).

No I didn't see the 68 ragtop. Have to do a search and check it out. I'm not looking for another one, but you never know. My wife is already complaining because her car sits out in the weather.

Later,

H-dog
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 01, 08:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I wish the young lady good luck. I wasn't as lucky as you were. Even though I inspected my floor pans from underneath it wasn't long after I got it that some small holes appeared. Coincidence or cover up, who knows. Anyway they weren't too bad so I cleaned them up, covered with POR-15 then fiberglassed over that and some new carpet while I was at it. A buddy of mine bought a 67 and a couple of months later the trunk pan was covered with rust. He says it looked perfect when he bought it. I guess you would need to be an expert to catch all the tricks. Still looking forward to meeting you at one of the cruise ins. By the way, I also have the same problem with the wife.

------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 01, 07:23 PM
Senior Tech

I'd probly make sure it's in decent running condition and like everyone else said check for rust/electrical/ make sure everything works. It really depends on how much your paying for it and what you want. The more you pay now the less you'll have to pay down the road (usually unless you get ripped off).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 01, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

To all,

Yesterday in my post I referred to a young lady in her early 30's. I made a gross error in that she is not in her early 30's. She is younger, and I stand corrected. I should know better than to guess someones age, not really knowing. My appologies to her. I will make it up somehow!

We're still going to look at that 69 sometime.

H-dog
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 01, 02:57 PM

Thumbs up

A wise man once told me to look at a car a couple of times only because they usually never look as nice the second time around. Most people are so pumped up that they have bought it in their mind before even getting their. Twice is nice unless it's a Yenko or ZL1....Then buy on site, unless it's fake... as for the wise man "It was my Dad" a Hot rodder from the 50's. Good Luck !!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 01, 04:19 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

Take someone with you who doesn't care much for Camaros but still knows old cars. They'll pick the car apart.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, tilt wheel, SS wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...9124&a=8603468
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 01, 07:22 PM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

Good point Chris!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode