water pump question ?? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 00, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Question

do any of you guys out there run an electric water pump on either a big or small block ?
i know several companies make them but i'd like to know how they actually work ? i see a lot of cars with the electric water pump made by moroso (the belt driven one). but if you read the notes about this setup, it tells you that it is not intended for street, but i see it more and more on these big engine cars.
second question, does anyone have a big block with a serpentine belt setup ? i'd like to know about that also ?
thanks,
bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 00, 02:52 AM
Senior Tech

I'm running the March surpintine v-belt conversion set up, mine is just a 3 pulleys that use 6 rib pulleys, if you have power steering there is another seperate pulley for that and then you run 2 belts, not really serpintine but I know some really fast street racers around here that run these pulleys and they don't throw belts and look cool two. As for the water pump, this quesion has come up on the NSCA board www.nscaracing.com and some said the aerospace components pump flows the most fluid, weather it will work on the street is unkown to me.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 00, 05:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I am running a Mezziere electric pump on a supercharged 406 Chevrolet. It uses an aluminum radiator and dual electric fans. I'm in Sacramento and even on 100+ days it will not go over 190 degrees. Mine is the remote unit which sits on a frame rail as the blower drive would interfere with any normal water pump. They make a regular bolt on pump also. They offer two different gallons per minute rated pumps. The standard street flows 35 gpm which is far more than the old Moroso, etc. types of the past. I am using their extreme duty version which flows 52 gallons per MINUTE. It definitely works. I am not familiar with the other pump you mentioned. CSI has a similar-looking pump to the Mezziere but the flow rates are less. I don't believe they have anything like the extreme duty version. Obviously this pump won't flow 52 gpm as set up in a car, but it is how the pumps are rated for comparison. Check the rating of whichever pump you choose. The higher gpm's allow them to maintain the pressure in the system easier, plus flow more water.

Jody

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 00, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

thanks for the input guy's
bruce
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 00, 04:37 AM
Tech Team

Question

MARKM - Forgive me if this is a dumb question but I don't know much about the serpentine setups. Are your alternator, power steering and water pump pulleys underdriven? How does this affect performance of the cooling or charging system? If it is underdriven can you feel an increase in horsepower?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode