Dick Harrell value? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 00, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

local classic vette dealer (bondo-r-us?) has a 69 dick harrell car. 427 in a bright green (too light to be a rally and looks metalic). he's asking $60k. what's the avtual value? it looks to be in fair, but not #1 condition.
more.. i was at yenko.com and this may be the car on their website: http://www.yenko.net/grnhar.jpg

------------------
To see a pic of my car, click here... pages.prodigy.net/mtbmtb/rf396ss.jpg

[This message has been edited by mike brown (edited 07-29-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 00, 11:41 AM
hideaway

hi mike i haven,t heard of a dick harrell camaro,what is it??? i mean as far as options and that kind of stuff.they must be pretty rare. thanks

IT COST TO GO FAST
HOW DAM* FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 00, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

think it's really just a copo (427 powered car) that was sold by Dick Harrell's Performance Center in Kansas City, MO.
not sure if he tuned them a little more than the average copo,
go here to find out more: http://www.yenko.net/harrell.html
and it says the color of the one i saw was Jade Metallic Green Camaro.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 00, 03:24 PM
Senior Tech

I know this car. I was interested in purchasing it around the first of the year. It appears to be a low mileage matching number COPO, BUT it has no Harrell docs. The story was it was purchased new in Kansas city and then taken to Dick Harrells shop for a super tune, emblems, etc. All of the owners are around and can verify it was tuned new from Harrell's shop, but w/out docs. IMO you would need to value it as a COPO camaro. BTW when I looked at it was $52,000 which is not a bad price for a matching number restored #2 27,000 mile COPO. I didn't buy it because I found another COPO at a better price. The car is Rally Green w/white interior turbo 400 on the column.

[This message has been edited by 70 RS/Z-28 (edited 07-29-2000).]
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 00, 11:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
joe

If you can get the number and codes from the engine, trans, and rear you can at least find out if it is a real COPO car. Also the vin number can rule out a fake COPO. It should be a Norwood or LA car and cannot be too early. Harrell did some COPO cars and some engine transplant cars. He also did some ZL1's with Fred Gibb.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 00, 03:41 AM
Senior Tech

Best I could tell, it was a matching number car and a real COPO. There have been a total of 4 owners and all are available to speak with and the original owner can verify that it went to Harrell's shop when new. The mod's at Dick Harrell's shop were minor and consisted of a supertune, installation of Jardine Headers and Sun gauges, along with the Harrell emblems. My opionion, is the history of the car is real, but there is no paperwork to back up the Harrell mods, so you can make the call as to what that does to value versus a typical COPO.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 00, 03:49 PM

Thumbs up

We are currently restoring two 1969 Dick Harrell built Camaro's. Both are very different models. One is an early [O1B] conversion car. It is a LeMans Blue SS 396. It was delievered to Harrell for conversion for Ed Black Chevrolet in New Mexico. It was a 396/375 horse M21 car. It was ordered with no spoilers, radio, console, etc the basic stripper. Harrell removed the original drivtrain and used a CE short block 512 427 using the 375 motor for the rest of the conversion. The carb was changes along with the intake. Doug Thorley headers were used in place of the original smog/manifolds. The cam was changed and the entire engine was blueprinted to Harrell's specs. The motor was painted with Glyptol on the inside. The conversion also included special Harrell rear spring clips,dash top mounted Sun tach,67 427 corvette style fiberglass hood, Edelbrock valve covers, extra cost Kelsey Stripper mag wheels, special exhaust and Harrell badging.
The second car is an O6A Fathom green COPO 427 Camaro automatic. This cars was converted by Harrell with most of the above equippment and used Halibrand mags and a very special American racing pedistal mounted aliminium air spoiler on the trunk.
Both of these cars are very rare and are documented examples. We only know of two other Harrell 69 Camaros, The mentioned Rallye Green one and a Daytona Yellow one. I feel that these are among the most special Camaros that were ever designed. Does anyone else know of any others? I would love to hear about them.
BKH
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 00, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

the one here, Horace Slay is the name of the dealer) is more of a lighter shade than the ralley green. as the yenko site stated it's Jade Metallic Green, but i'm sure it's the same car. has a white interior with a column shift auto. i would love to see pics of these other 2 being worked on if you have any.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 00, 05:04 PM
Senior Tech

The Slay's car is coded 79 79 PNT (Rallye Green)and is an 06A X-44 Norwood car at least according to the trim tag on the car.
The "Jade Green Metallic" is not a '69 Camaro color and was misprinted in a 1990 issue of Muscle Cars of the '60's / '70's when the car was featured.

[This message has been edited by 70 RS/Z-28 (edited 07-31-2000).]
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 00, 07:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
joe

There are some pics and info on Dick Harrell at his son-in-law and daught's web site. He was a big name drag racer in the 60's up to Sep.1971 when he was killed while racing his Funny car.
http://www.flyingdutchmanmotorsports.com/
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 00, 02:26 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Granted...it is kind of a bum picture...but it does look too light to be Rallye green. A possible repaint to a Jade Met. Green?

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my car ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry(updated 7/1/00)
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 00, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i've looked at it up close at least 10 times. believe me, it's not ralley green. just too light and too metalic. the jade makes sense. still looks very good this color, but the paint job is showing it's age.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 00, 02:42 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt S

Brian,
I've heard of another of Harrel's cars floating around, but I don't recall much about it and don't have any data on it.

Bill Glowacki or McNeish might know more.

------------------
Kurt S.
www.camaros.org

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 00, 05:45 PM

Thumbs up

I have seen a documented Harrell LS/6 Monte Carlo and a few Harrell/Gibb 427 Nova's. These cars are very rare and are never seen that much. I have never seen the Rallye green car in person , but have a number of articles about the car. I have seen two articles about the Daytona Yellow car in Texas but again have not seen it. This may be the car that was advertised on the Yenko web site at 130K. The two cars that we are doing are about in the middle stages with the paint and body work being started. The drivline on one car is done and the other one is finishing up. I would be glad to post some pictures as the cars start to look like cars again. Harrell and Yenko teamed up to produce the first 427 Camaro's in 67. He also helped design cars for Nickey. The Harrell cars have a great history and we are happy that we are getting to restore two of his creations. We hope that people get to see what Harrell was all about by showing these cars together when they are done. They are without a doubt among the coolest cars we have ever had the pleasure of working on.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 00, 02:23 AM
Senior Tech
Robert

I am in charge of the site mentioned above with the picture of the Harrell Camaro ( http://www.yenko.net )...I will see if I can get a better scan of the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode