RADIATOR SUPPORT - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 00, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Question

I'M RESTORING MY '68 AND MY CORE SUPPORT IS A LITTLE ROTTED, I'VE DECIDED TO GO WITH A FIBERGLASS HOOD AND WAS THUMBING THROUGH THE MAG AND NOTICED THEY HAVE A FIBER RADIATOR SUPPORT THAT HAS A 10% LARGER OPENING IN THE CENTER FOR BETTER COOLING, HAS ANYBODY EVER USED ONE OF THESE? AND WILL IT WORK ON MY CAR?, EVERYTHING ELSE IS ALL STEEL EXCEPT FOR THE HOOD. PLEAES HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 00, 05:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Hi Jfinn,
I'm certainly not a professional when it comes to engineering, but I do have an opinion that you might want to consider before you purchase this fiberglass radiator support. The first thing that popped into my head was the safety factor. If you're going to be using this car as an everyday driver, will fiberglass give you the same rigidity that a metal panel would to prevent excessive damage in the case of - let's say a front-end collision. I think that you're better off sticking with a factory metal piece, but that's just a single opinion. Good Luck, Paul
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 00, 02:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Stay with metal, whether GM or repro. The repro ones are pretty good. The support triangulates your front end and provides strength. I personally wouldn't go fiberglass. Cooling isn't an issue with the appropriate radiator/fan setup.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 00, 08:57 AM
AJ
Tech Team

Just replaced the core support on my '69.Not too bad a job, but I can't imagine usign a fiber support rather that a metal one. Just not enough strength.
A word of caution: some non-OEM products are not drilled for all mounting holes.
I got a non-OEM support and had to drill 4 holes for the inner wheel housing.
A couple of others didn't line up so I would spring for the OEM item.
AJ
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 00, 01:00 PM
Senior Tech

i replaced my 68's support with a repro from classic industries and it fit perfect. i did't cut one hole.i would stay away from the fiberglass for the same reasons stated by others.i would go with a steel hood also.Repro cowl hoods are only about $250 or so.The glass hoods usualluy need to be trimmed and iv'e seen them warp after awhile. good luck! http://members.spree.com/entertainment/ochrisl/
------------------
68 camaro,hugger orange ,white stripes.327 4 speed.

[This message has been edited by ochrisl (edited 04-22-2000).]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 00, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO. I'VE SEEN SOME REPO'S AT SWAP MEETS AND THEY DIDN'T LOOK RIGHT. I'LL CHECK INTO CLASSIC INDUSTRIES.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode