283 heads - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 00, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Can anyone ID these heads for me? The number is 3773013. I'm looking for valve size, horsepower, etc. I pulled them off a 283 # 3849852.
Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 00, 06:13 PM
Senior Tech

Wink

Sorry, can't find a listing for those heads 283 or otherwise. I did, however, find that block number...afraid it doesn't appear to be anything special. It shows for anything from '58-'67 283 for passenger car or truck. Because there's a seperate listing (different #) for 327s of the same vintage, I'm gonna GUESS it's just a plain ol' 283, not one of those cool blocks that came from the factory clearanced for either a 283 or 327 crank. Again, sorry that's all I got, and my best assessment. I'm sure there's someone out there with some better information available.

------------------
'69 Garnet Red Convertible, Ivory over black, 350 w/turbo 400
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 00, 06:01 AM
Banned

Smile

Check under the bottom of the cylinders up where the crank throws spin.
hleining,

The bottom of the cylinders will be radiused if your block is a late 283 that can be bored up to .155".

A 327 crank should fit, (but check it by installing and spinning) and also the starting point for a Z-28 type engine, otherwise, if flat in this area, just a 283 block.
By the way, 283's never used any valves bigger then 1.72"/1.50" regardless of hp. This is neat!!

Hope this helps. pdq67

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 00, 06:06 PM
Senior Tech

Wink

You don't happen to have access to that block do you? 'Cuz he's right it COULD be the starting point for a small journal Z/28 style engine. If memory serves me...ALL 283 cranks were forged!?! An overbore could get you to around 5 liters. But it'd be a high winding beast...not particularly suitable for street use, and it could be argued that there are better ways to spend your money if you're looking for power. Still again, it could be a fun project, and certainly a conversation piece.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode