Cracked my windshield removing trim-68 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 14th, 01, 02:24 PM
Dave RG

While removing my trim I cracked the windshield at the base and it has now traveled halfway up the window. I can justify the change out as the windshield was pitted. It looks like windshield, in the car, is original. Any ideas on were to go for a replacement? I was going to call a local place for replacement but would like to get one with original tinting and markings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 14th, 01, 02:48 PM
Senior Tech

Most of the restoration shops like Ricks First Gen. or Year One carry dated glass. You will however pay a signifigant amount more than non dated replacements. Needless to say the glass is available. Hope this helps
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 14th, 01, 02:52 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I did the same a while back. Check with your local sources as many have access to the correct glass..

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 14th, 01, 03:46 PM
Senior Tech

The CRG has coding for the glass, if you want to make sure that yours is original. LOF has a website and will correctly date code glass.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 14th, 01, 03:56 PM

Wink

Bought a windshield for my convt last month for $175 from a local auto glass business but installed it myself. Dated glass will be more expensive but check prices locally before ordering from catalog, I would guess that only a few manufacturers supply these to all dealers.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 14th, 01, 10:53 PM
Tech Team

Wink

Had one bought and installed with the original tint up top at a local glass shop for around $130.00. They did a great job and it looks original.

------------------
'68 Camaro Coupe
350, PG trans
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 01, 08:19 AM
DelGratta

Thumbs up

Id go with an OEM replacement windshield from one of these sources:

Buy direct from LOF's GlassSearch division - Their telephone number is 800-848-1351. They have the original templates for etching the glass with the date codes. Tell them Dan DelGratta referred you.

Buy direct from an LOF distributor but chances are they will not have date coded glass readily available. Call 858-627-9604 and ask for John Mohay. Tell him youd like to buy an LOF brand windshield and would like the name of some distributors.

Order one from a first gen parts supplier For one example, Ricks buys quite a bit of LOF glass. Their number is 1-800-359-7717

Ask each for a price with and without shade band and with and without date coding. Good luck!

------------------
Dan
My 68 RS Convertible 1 My 68 RS Convertible 2
My Web Page
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 01, 09:32 AM
Senior Tech
Don

I did the same exact thing on my 67 Rag top. LOF is the only way to go on glass! If you would like to see pics of recently "finished" 67 RS/SS Convertible with "pro-touring" style please visit my page. Don http://hometown.aol.com/zz430droptop67rs/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode