Hard Clutch Pedal - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 01, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marty

Guys, my clutch pedal resistance has increased dramatically in the last few days. I have a hydraulic clutch setup, and the pressure has increased to the point that I've now blown a seal on the slave cylinder that pushes on the clutch fork. What is the most likely cause of the increased resistance? I've not changed a clutch before, but it looks like that may change soon.

------------------
Marty

69 Camaro, 350, TrickFlow heads, T5, 3.73
http://users.ev1.net/~martyp/69Camaro/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 01, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Clutch rusted together?

When was the last time you drove the car? Usually, after sitting for a length of time, the metallic clutch disc rusts to the flywheel and pressure plate, especially in high humidity areas.

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 01, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marty

It's a daily driver so that is not the problem. Could it be a problem with the throw out bearing or that the clutch itself is going bad?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 01, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

The only other suggestion I can think of is the clutch disc has worn enough to allow the slave cylinder to be at its end of travel and cannot compensate for wear anymore, thereby, requiring replacement.

How old is this clutch set-up now?

Everett
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 01, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marty

Everett,

It's not a matter of travel. It will depress the clutch fork all the way, but I damn near have to stand on it with both feet! It is so hard that I've blown the seals on the slave cylinder.

Marty
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 01, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marty

I'm not sure how old the clutch setup is as it was on the car when I bought it a year ago.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 01, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Marty,

Sounds like the clutch pedal has turned into a brake pedal, after reading your first post.

Resistance when depressing pedal, something would be binding, T/O bearing on bearing retainer alittle tight?

From your other posts, this is about all it could be, you mention clutch will move all the way - does this mean it works as normal, just very hard to push? Does it engage/disengage as it did before the "binding"?

Could be a bent fork, broken pressure plate, or worn bearing retainer where the T/O bearing rides on causing misalignment. Or, slave cylinder binding up due to heat, as in piston/cylinder clearance.

Everett
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 01, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marty

Clutch works as normal, it's just hard to push. Engages and disengages just as before the "binding". However, as I mentioned, with me "standing" on the clutch pedal, it generates enough pressure in the hydraulic actuation system to blow the seal on the front of the slave cylinder. I'm begining to think that it's got to be in the fork itself. The fork seemed to have a bit of play in it when I tried to move it by hand. Is there anyway to check the things you've mentioned without dropping the trans? It's not the slave binding due to heat as it's that way even with the engine off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode