327 or 350 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 00, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have a 73 350 in my 67 all stock execpt a small cam
I have a CE 327 11:1 motor. this motor has a cam but Iam not sure of the size (any way to tell?)which would be better ? I have a m21 and also have a 4:11 posi to go in soon the car is a weekender only
thanks for any help

------------------
stock? 67
69BB in resto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 00, 02:47 AM
Senior Tech

Wink

It all depends on what you plan to do with the car. 350s are torquier, therefore better for the street. Plus parts are plentiful and cheap, regardless of whether you build for stout street or drag racing.

A 327 is a great motor, not as much torque as the 350, but once you wind it up... horsepower is there, which may be better for sustained high speed racing.

I'd certainly think twice before I tried to make an 11:1 cr ANYTHING try to live on the street...detonation on pump gas will likely drive you nuts, and destroy the engine.

Last...the only way I'M aware you can KNOW what a cam is doing on an assembled engine is to put a solid lifter on the lobe(s) and a degree wheel on the crank, hand-turn the engine over and take notes on lift and duration shown, then multiply lift @ cam by rocker ratio.
------------------
'69 Garnet Red Convertible, Ivory over black, 350 w/turbo 400

[This message has been edited by POP D TOP (edited 12-03-2000).]
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 00, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I plan to run av gas if I switch the motors I can get it at my small town airport as longas I dont put in the car at the pump I can fill a 55gal. drum and pump it at home.

------------------
stock? 67
69BB in resto.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 00, 05:33 PM
Senior Tech

Wink

Hey, if it's REALLY only gonna see weekend duty, and you REALLY have unlimited access to cheap high octane fuel, then I'm guessing you want GOBS of neck-snapping brute force Chevy power. If that's REALLY the case, then go for the cubic inches. I wouldn't waste my time or money with a 327 if I'm REALLY trying to impress 'em on the track. Build the 350 to the hilt, or maybe even make it a 383. You might even do well to sell BOTH engines and pick up a Big Block. But that's just my opinion.

------------------
'69 Garnet Red Convertible, Ivory over black, 350 w/turbo 400
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 00, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech

Watch the AVGAS. Its not the best for running our engines. Its even worse if NOS is used with it.

Now, I do not prfess to know the exact reasons why, but I am under the impression AVGAS is a low lubricating fuel. Makes it hard on valve guides and such. As for the NOS, I was lead to beleive that NOS is an excelerant(sp?). AVGAS is blended for the high altitude, lower oxygen uses. The NOS helps create and even greater lean condition.

Just my 2 cents....

As for a motor, I would stay with a 350 or 383. They make better torque for street or street race cars.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed (Soon to be LT1)
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
"Speed KILLS, so drive a FORD and live forever!"
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 00, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ialways thought it was the same has cam 2 but only cost 1.80 instead of 5.00 a gal.
I guess you learn something new every day
at least I do on this site !!!

------------------
stock? 67
69BB in resto.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 00, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ialways thought it was the same has cam 2 but only cost 1.80 instead of 5.00 a gal.
I guess you learn something new every day
at least I do on this site !!!

Oh yea !!! I like the Idea of the big block anyone want to buy those small blocks

the wife is goin to kill me if I tear her car apart while mine is still in peices!!!

------------------
stock? 67
69BB in resto.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 01, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I was looking throgh some books last night and it shows the 350 as only having 8.5 compression wouldnt that really limit the output compared to the 327 11to 1 compression
I realize starting from scrach the 350 would be a no brainer but I both motors asembled and ready to drop in/swopp. looks like the 327 has a 510/512 cam(?)and 202 heads. I was told the 327 was in a 72 nova running 11:20's with 4.56's and a 4spd. the 350 is rebuilt stock small valve heads but has a small cam.
what do you guy's think???

------------------
stock? 67
hidden 69
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 01, 07:06 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Thumbs up

If you've already got a built 327, go with it. Just don't use AVGAS unless your Camaro has wings and a prop.

Mark
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 01, 07:15 AM
Tech Team

I've always preferred the "feel" of the pre-1968 Chevy small block with the small journals. It seems to be happier to rev. They are especially fun with four speeds. But who knows where that engine in Nova came from. 202 heads are a great thing, which leads me to believe it's an older motor. A true "fuelie" 327 is the best around I think. But, realistically, it's probably easier to make a strong 350 or 383 stroker because of the availabilty of parts. As usual, it all boils down to time and money.

------------------
67 RS Convertible, 327/210hp
Granada Gold, deluxe interior (black), 4spd. all stock
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 01, 09:19 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

4-speed

If it's the detonation that you're worried about with the 327, you may be surprised. I have a similar engine, with the exception of 1.94 heads and a slightly smaller cam and it runs fine on 93 octane pump gas. The detonation (or lack of) has a lot to do with cam overlap and timing. If it's ready to bolt in, I say give it a try! It'll be loads of fun with that 4-speed and posi.

Mark

[This message has been edited by mbrekke (edited 01-26-2001).]
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 01, 09:39 AM
Tech Team

It seems to me that several years ago I saw a picture of a guy using a digital Vernier caliper to measure the lobes of an unknown cam. At the time I knew nothing of cars or engines, so I can't recall if it was in HOT ROD or whereever. Anybody know if this is even possible? I quess you could measure maximum lift, but I don't really know.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 01, 03:16 PM

Thumbs up

327 is the best engine chevy made thats why chevrolet stop making them after 1968 because they never made any money off of them,they never broke down. I have a 68 Camaro w/327 mild cam m21/4 speed close ratio muncie, what a screamer it is the crappy thing is I have a 2.73 10 bolt but I still get rubber in 1, 2, 3. Soon to have 12 bolt 4.11.
1/4 Mile 327 all the way!!

------------------
Nick Trujillo
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 01, 07:38 PM
Senior Tech

The most sure fire way to identify what cam you have is to just yank the cam and get the grind or part numbers off of it...post the numbers and I've probably got a catalog that covers it

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode