flairing tubing - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 00, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

I've always tried to double flair any brake lines or fuel lines that I make. What I'm wondering is which way is best; single flair or double flair? What is the benifit of the double flair? Would a single flair work just as well? It's hard to find a GOOD double flair tool.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 00, 10:25 AM
Senior Tech

A single flair will crack over time due to fatigue and vibration. A single fair is ok if used on a part where it does not matter if it develops a crack. generally all automotive lines require a double flair which will not crack over time.

With that said, I have seen people cut brake lines to size and then single fair them and they worked fine.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 00, 02:27 PM
Team Member
John

Single-flaring brake pipes is pretty risky. The best flaring tools are made by Imperial-Eastman, 1151 Bryn Mawr Ave., Itasca, Illinois 60143. I have several of them, bought from Speedway Motors, Lincoln, Nebraska (402) 474-4411. Just tell them what angle flare you want - they have 45-degree for most automotive flares, and 37-degree for AN fittings. Have used mine for many years, they still work like new (they're precision-machined and heat-treated, unlike the junk from China).

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 00, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

You're right about that China junk. I've always done the double flair but was just wondering if I was waisting my time. Thanks for the info on the tool. How much does it cost? What size tubing does it do?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 00, 09:17 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Sears has a double flaring kit at a reasonable price.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 00, 11:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Be careful what tool you buy, I used a "chinesse" in a repair of a rear line, the one that goes to the rear brake cylinder, and after doing the double flare I was ready to install the line but thanks God I looked at the floor and saw the adapter that makes the double flare and notice that the center stem was broken. It was located inside the line end. I had to cut the line around 1/2" back, re-make the flare and re-bend the line so it reached the cylinder. My recomendation, purshase the best one you can afford and try to always double flare your lines for safety.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 00, 05:21 AM
Senior Tech

Thumbs down

I have the Sears one and it doesn't do a very good job. It slips and gets the flair off center.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 00, 06:10 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

Mild steel tubing, and aluminum up to -6, requires double flaring. Stainless tubing only requires a single flare. Be sure to use seamless tubing and/or conical seals.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 00, 07:29 AM
Senior Tech

I use the Snap on (Blue point)
Model TF 528 B It does the job, but all flare tools I've used are a pain in the ***
I've had this one for over 5 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode