Gear Drive, Quiet vs Noisy? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 00, 04:13 PM
Rich253

When I look at gear drives in my Summit catalog, It shows two different types of gear drives. Quiet and Noisy.
I know what a Noisy one sounds like, but does anyone know what they mean by "Quiet". Is it as quiet as a conventional timing chain? Or still noisy, just not as loud as the "Noisy" one.
They also say "Minor machining may be required". Does anyone know what they mean by that?
Thanks, Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 00, 04:36 PM
hideaway

rich i had a set in a 33 ford roadster i had and they were the NOISY ones ''pete jackson''.i really liked them in it,but as far as putting them in my 69 no,i like the original look and sound myself in something like that.ok as far as the machining you may or may not have to,on the back of the gears sometimes you have to hit them at the grinder just to give you alittle clearance from the block.quiet ones mean just that QUIET.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 00, 12:16 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

rich,
from what i've heard, you ought to stay away from gear drives. first off, if one of the gears break, it will jam up everything and could cause some serious engine damage, not like a chain that would just break. second, i've been told they steal away horsepower, because it takes a lot to turn them.
like i said, this is what i've been told by some engine builders and they say to go will a good named double roller or true roller timing set.
later,
bruce

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 00, 05:55 AM
Senior Tech

I always go for the quietest Pete Jackson or Edelbrock dual idler gear set I can find, the one still in the box, owned by somebody else who will have the problems it will cause.

If I go gear drive, it is always a single idler, fixed to the block. Summers Bros, Milodon, etc.

Jackson, Edelbrock quiet is one with a small amount of backlash between the gearsets, noisy is one that is pre-worn out, loose and both are pure junk, plain and simple. I am sure the ones you are hearing are actually quiet ones, as they make lots of noise.

For street/mild strip use, do yourself a giant favor and use a good double row roller timing set, and stop believing all the racer and high-zoot ad hype.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 00, 07:28 AM
Senior Tech

I'm going to go with IgnitionMan on this. I have had friends that used the quiet Pete Jackson drives and it was just still too much. After a month or so they would literally give them away. You gain nothing performance wise using a gear drive over a good double roller. My personal thought on this is if my car is going to sound like it has a blower under the hood then it should. I don't want my car to sound faster than it is. I rather have it sound slow. If I lose to a mustang or something I don't want them thinking they beat a old Camaro with a blower. To each his own but just make sure you can really live with it before you go through the trouble. One more thing, don't install a gear drive on a computer controlled car.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 00, 08:23 AM

hi
my views on gear drives....waste of money. i bought a camaro with a noisy one and it drove me crazy...tossed it quick. go with a nice quiet double roller chain and you won't be disappointed.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 00, 08:34 AM
Senior Tech

I think they were cool about 10+ years ago, now there just a little bit "old school". Go with the timing chain.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 00, 11:44 AM
Senior Tech

Well,

I've used a Pete Jackson gear drive (quiet one) for years now, and I've had really good luck with it. In fact, I'm putting one in my new race motor, which should run low 10's to high 9's. Say what you want, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I think some of you guys are bagging on it pretty hard when it's a pretty good product. Just my 2 cents. Take care.

------------------
69 SSRS Frame-off Resto
81 Z-28 377ci Drag Car
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 00, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech

See, now, there's words that go together, GEAR DRIVE & RACE ENGINE.

Words that don't are GEAR DRIVE & STREET ENGINE.

Words that don't work, dual-idler-gear-drive, words that do work, single-idler-gear-drive.

Thanks, my opinion and experience.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 00, 05:12 PM
Tech Team

Wink

What concerns me about gear drive is that it provides a solid mechanical coupling of the crankshaft to the camshaft. This does a much better job of transmitting mechanical resonances to/from the crankshaft and the cam than a chain will. Yes, the end result of this may be difficult to measure, however I guess it makes sense to me to spend less money on a quality chain drive and not worry about adding or amplifying resonances in the engine, especially those marketed as "extra noisy"... I don't think you'll find very many high dollar race engines with that feature.

Just my opinion.

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/dmdirks/Automotive.html
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 00, 07:16 PM
Senior Tech

harmonics is a very large and valid concern with the dual-idler sets, but even more dangerous is the nooisy ones are set with a pair of idler plates that place the gears farther apart. In essence, noisy drive comes pre-worn out, and things just get worse from there as the plates auger the idler gear pin holes farther apart, giving more and more backlash. Over stresses the valve train and doesn't help damping of the cam to crank interface.

Single idler has idler gear pin affixed to the block or an aluminum timing cover, so the backlash doesn't grow with useage.

Double row timing chain doesn't have any of those problems.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 00, 11:59 PM
Senior Tech

i have a pete jackson quiet geardrive in my camaro. i love it! and it really perked my camaro up. dont know why they get a bad rap.

------------------
BLack 69 coupe 350/TH400 factory A/C
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 00, 12:04 AM
Senior Tech

Question

so a street engine cant be raced now? its got to be a race engine to race.

------------------
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 00, 02:49 AM
Senior Tech

You guys that are running gear drives, let me ask you. Why did you decide to go with one? Was it for the sound, more performance? I'm not being a jerk, to each his own, I'm just curious as to why you paid all the extra money for one compared to a roller. The people I know that had them pretty much only bought them for the sound or the hype. Both of which wore out quickly with them. If you run them and like them then great, but why? Teach me something good about them
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 00, 11:39 PM
Senior Tech

i like the sound, i had a 2xroller and i junked it for my geardrive, to me the car acts better, its just neat to hear a car with one, because not to many people use them. i was a cruse and a big block mopar came around the corner with one and i fell in love. just another thing to list on my car, bought one becaue i could. i just like them.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode