Bad blower motor? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 01, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Question

Help please!

A couple of days ago I fired up my '81 Z to warm up for the trip to work. Everything was working fine. Blower motor was running on low...no problem. Got in to drive away and lifted the motor switch to hi and the motor stopped running. Ok, thought I'd blown a fuse - no biggie. Checked the fuses that evening and all appeared good. When I moved the switch I could hear the motor relay clicking (relay mounted on the A/C housing). I checked for loose connections and all are connected fine. Nothing loose/corroded. Just on the outside chance the relay was bad (it is 20 years old) I replaced it with a new one and got the same results...it clicks when the switch is moved to high. Pulled the switch thinking the problem may be there and tested it with a known good switch...same result. The relay engages but no blower. Have I checked all that I should or have I missed something? Is there a way to isolate the blower motor and test it without removing it? (on the A/C car this is a real Bit*h of a job)

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

P.S. anyone know where to connect the fiber optic cable that lights the ash tray. I've got the ash tray end handled, but where is the source?

Thanks to all of my fellow Gear Heads!

Joe

------------------
'69 Sport Coupe, '81 Z28, '91 RS, and looking for the fourth..
Please check out my site---> http://www.inccn.net/ the Indiana Classic Car Network
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 01, 08:36 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Don't know about an 81's wiring but in 69 there is a inline fuse on the firewall right by the suitcase in the engine compartment that supplies the fan directly from the main power terminal on the horn relay. The relay is powered from the circuit that supplies the other fan speeds but the fan power comes straight off of the battery.

Did you check that fuse?

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 01, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

I just checked for an inline fuse...no luck. The red power wire from the blower goes to the relay and then to a connector on the firewall. From there it goes into a harness.

Thanks!
Joe

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 01, 11:25 AM
Senior Tech

Was your AC fuctioning as in working? I know if they are not fully charged the high speed fan will not work. There is a high pressure switch that enables it to work on the high setting.

------------------
68 RS red w/ white stripes
67 SS/RS restoring
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 01, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Yep, the A/C was working fine (at least the last time I had the A/C running in Nov. of last year), and up until the day the blower stopped I had the high speed as well. This is driving me nuts...

Thanks!
Joe
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 01, 02:31 PM
Senior Tech

Unplug the wire from the blower motor terminal. Run a length of wire from the terminal to the pos battery post. If it works, the blower motor is good.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 01, 11:00 PM
Senior Tech

ther should be a resistor in line . it is mounted on the blower box in the motor compartment. it has like a 4 or 5 wire plug in the rough shap of a triangle. if this go's bad you will eather only have low or nothing. it is normaly mounted on the A/C evaporator part of the box, well more like in it. this is too cool it so it will not burn out as fast.

the way it work's is you have a coil of wire, kinda like in a light bulb, and power go's in at what iwill call point A, poin't B,C,and D ar space down the coil. the amount of voltage the blower get's is determand by how fare down the resistor coil the power has to go before the conection is made, point's B,C, and D. they last around 20 year's normaly... hope this help's.

but do the direct curent check too. this will tell you if you have a bad motor. if the motor s good check the resistor and switch out. you have allready confermed that you have a good realay.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 01, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

The motor tested fine, so it looks like the resistor is bad. Anyone know where I might find one? My parts guy (who's really good) snickered at me when I asked for this one!

Thanks!
Joe

------------------
'69 Sport Coupe, '81 Z28, '91 RS, and looking for the fourth..
Please check out my site---> http://www.inccn.net/ the Indiana Classic Car Network
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 01, 09:58 PM
Senior Tech

find a new part's guy!

this is a very comon part, go to napa they will have it. and if not them any good G.M dealer. this part was the same for car's and truck's for like 20+ year's!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 01, 03:10 PM
Senior Tech
Marty

QuikZ,

Let me know what you find out on this one. I've got the exact same problem. AC on my 69 is cold and the fan blows on all but the high setting. I've replaced the resistor, the blower switch and still have this problem. There are 4 wires going to the relay, one is a black wire with an inline fuse that goes to the horn relay, another is purple that goes to the blower motor, then there are a thin black wire and an orange wire that disappear into the wire harness. I get 12 volts at the relay on the black wire and 10 volts on the purple at the lower speeds. As soon as I go to high speed, the purple voltage goes to 0. This is correct since the high speed is wired directly to the battery??? I only see a black wire and the purple wire going to the blower motor. What am I missing?

Hot in Texas!!!

Marty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode