PS BRACKETS - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 01, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

DOES ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE IF A PS CRADLE FROM A Z-28 WILL WORK WITH THE STANDARD UNDER THE MOTOR MOUNT ADJUSTER BRACKET.
1967 BASE CAMARO WITH STOCK 327 CU.IN. OR WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THESE CRADLES THAT MOUNT TO THE FRONT OF THE BLOCK? THE Z-28 ADJUSTER MOUNTS BETWEEN THE CRADLE & BLOCK THERE BY THROWING PULLY ALIGNMENT OFF, SO I WENT WITH ORIGINAL PART NO. ADJ. BRACKET
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 01, 03:41 PM

The z28 cradle is necessary to clear an 8 inch balancer. If the z28 cradle and adjuster are used together the alignment will not be correct for the 327. The 327 adjuster will bolt up and will cure the alignment problem but the belt will be too tight. The pump will be pushed against the cradle for the belt to go on. I know this because I am at this exact point with my current project. I know the 350 and z28 used different pulleys and belts, but I'm not sure what cures the problem at this point.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 01, 12:03 AM

The few 68 Z/28 Camaros I have seen in my life with power steering have a very special cast iron power steering pump pulley. The crank pulley is part#3916385 and is I belive obsolete. The power steering pump pulley is part#3873847 and has been obsolete for over 15 years. One thing you can do is run a 70-72 LT-1 pulley set-up, although not correct it does have the deep grooves like the z/28. The power steering pump pulley is cast iron on a LT-1 and is still avaliable at GM for about $40. You will not be able to run an AIR emission pump with the LT-1 pulley as the drive belt for the P.S. take over that groove of the H2Opump and crankshaft.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 01, 03:24 AM

The Z28 pulleys are deep groove and hard to find. The SS 350 used the same ps mount but without deep groove pulleys. I believe the 67-68 350 pulleys are the same as all 69 pulleys making them much easier to find. I assume using this pulley fixes the alignment since the pumps are all the same even though the reservoir is different in 69
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 01, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

my car is a base 67 Camaro convertible with a 327. Its not a Z-28! I just want to know if the Z-28 cradle will work with the stock adjuster bracket and maybe a longer belt.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 01, 08:55 AM

Yes,it will work. The belt will need to be about one inch longer. The only problem I see is that the 327 adjuster does not have as long an adjustment slot and therefore too long a belt will be a problem. I don't know how long the 350 belt is. I just fixed my problem by using the Z28 SS350 brackets and the 350 pump pulley. The part number on the pulley is 3770509. This pulley was used from 69 to sometime in the 70's on many different models. I got mine from a "71 caprice in a local junkyard. The belts line up with this pulley. Cost was $5.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 01, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Cool

thanks that sounds like the easiest fix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode