Help ! 2nd Gen Info needed ASAP - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 01, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation

My neighbor has a 70-73 Camaro (split bumper, but I'm not sure what year) that needs mucho work but he is willing to let it go very cheap. What I need to know is cost wise, are these little monsters as expensive to restore as first gens ? Are parts as readily available ?

Please help, before I get carried away with visions of a matching pair of Hugger Orange Camaros !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 01, 11:05 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Actually,the 2nd gen body parts are generaly a little higher. Also companies aren't "re-popping" as many 2nd gen parts. If you would like to see my 70 RS/Z28,and also my 67 RS/SS Convert, here are links. Good luck! http://hometown.aol.com/performancespecs/ http://hometown.aol.com/zz430droptop67rs/
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 01, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I want this thing so bad I can taste it & if i don't buy it, I'll be kicking myself for the rest of my time on this planet. But, I'm afraid for my checkbook too !

BTW, those are great looking cars !

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 01, 11:57 AM

Hi, I've got a '70 with RS/SS with the split front bumper and big block. I also bought mine in horrible shape. It is surprising how much is interchangeable, if you are not worried about having the exact year parts. The '70 - '72 center console is different than later years, and the window trim in back can go from about '70 - '74. Many of the interior pieces you can get from up to '74 models. There are actually plenty of suppliers out there, Year One, etc, that could help you for missing parts. You said it needs alot of help. What exactly does it need?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 01, 12:03 PM

Thumbs up

Z2430DropTop67RS, My car is just about an exact match for yours. I'm waiting deliver on my cowl induction hood right now. I'm dropping my motor out this winter for preparation for a new paint scheme. Your car is a perfect example on how it's done right. Great Job, and don't be surprised if I buzz you for advice. Right now, I've got the Torker manifold on the BB that is not working right. I'm switching to the Polished Performer and adding Nitrous. (if my wife lets me). I'm also setting mine up as a driver as opposed to a quarter miler. I lost this car once, I'm not losing it again.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 01, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

I stopped & looked at it up close on my way home this afternoon. I grabbed the numbers & did a little research & it turns out to be a 1972 307 4-spd car. Not an RS. Upon preliminary inspection it needs drivers side lower door/rocker panel, right rear quarter panel, right side door maybe, right front fender. All of the plastic trim is in the interior. Seats are there but would need recovering & needs door panel inserts, carpet & console of course & headliner & complete re-wire. Has some surface rust, but no holes. Needs complete rear suspension & drivetrain. (Drivetrain is not a problem; I have a spare motor & auto. tranny that could be used.)

I'm not afraid of work, so I'm not really scared of this one. I think it is a little rough, but very fixable, especially for the price. Apparently, he has all ready given someone else first shot at it, so we have to wait to see if the other guy comes back for it. If not, he told my husband he would take $100.00 for it. I think that's a good buy.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 01, 12:48 PM

Thumbs up

100 rocks? Here's the scoop. Good luck on finding a center console for the car. However, I may put a 4th gen in mine, and I may be willing to part with mine for the cost of shipping it to you should you buy the car. The doors are easy. Most 2nd Gen cars are interchangable and you could find them in most bone yards provided that your area is not big on racing. Year ONE has alot of the parts that you're looking for and is not unreasonable if your looking at a $100.00 car. I've got a 10 bolt rear end (not original) and I also may be looking at a 9 inch replacement for strength. Again, stay tuned for 2nd gen hand-me-downs. As a spouse, you are doing the right thing giving your husband a hobby. Cheaper than bars, and keeps us away from other women. My wife supports my hobby too. When replacing quarterpanels and flooring, your gonna need a welder. If the front end is a split bumper, you can't go wrong. I'll be replacing the front seats with Borleau seats, so, guess what. I've got a spare hood that has a huge dink in the front, but is otherwise straight, and I'm waiting for a cowl induction hood. There are many things you could do to the '72 that would make the car beautiful whether or not you have the front split bumper. Look at Z430DropTop67RS Camaro, and you can see the possibilities. You'll most likely put a few thousand dollars into the car. I paid $350.00 for painless wiring for my Jeep and it took my wife an I 2 days to rip out the old and put in the new. Painless has an entire system for your car and costs about $400.00. good luck!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 01, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

Hey Stock70,

Thanks for the tips & help with the parts, but we've got to make sure that we get the car first. For the money, we will probably buy it & start a long-term resto on it.

BTW, I appreciate your comment about the "supportive wife," but I just wanted to let you know that I'm as dangerously into this hobby as my hubby is. I have a 69 RS/SS that I bought & 1992 & restored with help from my Dad. I currently have a 1976 Corvette project underway (ungergoing floorboard replacement surgery at Dad's). My husband posts here under the name 57plymouth. His 57 has been in the family since new & he has a 50 Dodge truck under construction. I'm the Camaro addict, so this would be another project for me.

LOL ! I understand that you're new to the board, but just wanted to let you know that this is my hobby too. I don't mind getting greasy for the sake of saving a car. I can assure you that I put plenty of blood sweat & tears into these cars; not just fetch beer & tools ! No offense intended.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old May 16th, 01, 05:48 AM

Thumbs up

I stand humbly before you. After I sent, I began to think about that. My wife is a trained Jet mechanic and has worked on the F-18, F-14, F-5, C-130T and numerous helicopters. I meant no disrespect to you. Often, when I encounter my "wall" my wife tells me to chill out and leave for 5 minutes. On return, my wife not only has whatever I was working on fixed, but is working on another project that she saw when she was there. I totally understand that this is not a "male" thing. I'm writing from my perspective. By the way, my 12 year old daughter does great oil changes and is taking a class on tune-ups this summer.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old May 16th, 01, 06:12 AM

I also found out, if that car has a split front bumper, it is an RS. My wife is trying to buy an MG Midget for her project. I hope you get the car. They look great.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old May 16th, 01, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Wink

Not a problem. I understand completely. I'm pretty sure that the car is not an RS. It doesn't have the bumpers on the front, but also only has the one headlight. From looking at my parts catalogs, it does not appear to be an RS.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old May 16th, 01, 06:40 AM
Senior Tech
Brian Cooper

Angry

If your wife buys a british car divorce her IMMEDIATELY!! There is no good reason to buy any british car. If you thinks furds suck, you haven't had a british car.

Am I clear?

------------------
57 Plymouth Savoy in my family since new, just cosmetically restored, 93 S-10 waiting on the 50 Dodge truck to be built then one s_10 for sale, Angie's mechanic and designated Vette cusser.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old May 16th, 01, 06:50 AM
Senior Tech

if Iam not mistaken 72 was a low production year do to a strike I think,the early 2nd gens are really sharp cars .
good luck angie!
and go for it!

I knew there was going tobe a response to the supportive wife thing

------------------
stock? 67
hidden 69
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old May 16th, 01, 08:22 AM

Talking

I already told my wife on the problems with British vehicles. My grandfather was from Scotland and he said, "If God had meant for the English to take over the world, he would have given them decent electrical systems" or something like that. Or was it, "If God had meant for Scotland to take over the world, he wouldn't have invented whiskey." Maybe I could rip out that tiny little engine and stick a 350 down that gob. I'd have to reinforce everything and replace everything. My wife just wants a little sports car, and I don't want to give money to the Japanese importers. It was between an MG, a Fiat Spyder, or the Alfa Romeo. No prices between 'em, but she let me have my Jeep, Camaro, 'Cuda and CBR-1000F, so who am I to judge?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old May 17th, 01, 05:07 AM

IMO - these cars are cheaper to restore than the 1st gens. They look nicer too.

Second Generation specific info can be found at this site: www.nastyz28.com
go to the message board. Have fun.

The reason these cars are cheaper to restore is because of the place above, people are helping each other. Anything that goes on a 1969 Z28 suddenly becomes worth more than gold. You can snap up a 1975 Camaro for short money and get a lot of parts for cheap. Then again, people are now figuring this out too, but with places like above, there's still no reason to get screwed.

Disclaimer: I happen to own the above site. If I was looking to make money I'd be peddling 1967 - 69 Camaro parts, but I don't.
You should be able to find everything you need, from technical specs on the cars to cheap parts.

Regards,
MadMike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode