convertible windshield frame - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 00, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

I have a 68 convertible and the windshield frame is leaning back about 1 1/2 degrees, which creates a problem with the door windows lining up. I have heard that this is pretty common with older convertibles, that they have a tendency to creep back over the years. What is the best way to fix this problem? Can I do it myself fairly easily, by removing the windshield and using a winch or come-a-long and straps.

Thanks, Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 00, 04:49 PM
hideaway

bob, sounds like you may have a sagging problem.what kind of shape are your inner rockers in.this is what helps keep a conv intact.if they have heavy rust in them they will let the car sag as it don,t have a top to strength the body.i would check these,there,s no reason your windshield should just to start to lean back.
IT COST TO GO FAST
HOW DAM* FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 00, 05:03 AM
Senior Tech

I totally agree with Hideaway. I have never heard of the windshield starting to lean back unless from some collision. Don't bend it out!! Check the rockers/floors/frame etc first! I am not saying it's impossible for the windshield to be out of whack, but it is very, very unusual and I doubt it is where the problem lies.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 00, 05:45 AM
Senior Tech

If you fix it don't winch it back into position. The problem would be that the car is folding, sinking in the middle. You would need to jack the car up in the middle to correct it then fix whatever the reason why it sank while its in the correct position. In other words reverse the proceedure of what made this happen to begin with. If you winch the window area back you will correct your window alignment problem but not the sagging problem that created it. Suggest some type of frame connectors once its fixed right
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 00, 07:30 AM
Tech Team
Pat

Just to follow up, to make sure it is a sagging problem (which I'm sure it is) lift the entire car off the ground and place floor jack support near the middle of the car and put the weight onto them. Now check the window area, chances are it will be leaning too far out. Even after you correct what we believe is a inner rocker rust problem, these old converts still flex plenty, so the subframe connectors and solid convert plate (which should already be on your car) are a must.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 00, 11:34 AM
hideaway

i,ve noticed you have another post referring to the brace across the floor board,this just makes more sense that you have a structure problem

IT COST TO GO FAST
HOW DAMN FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode