Original factory exhaust manifold color in 69?col - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 00, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

I've posted this in Team Chevelle and received conflicting opinions. I thougt I'd run it by you guys since we both used the same big blocks from Tonawanda.

I read an article where Tonawanda painted the block, intake (if cast iron) and exhaust manifolds Orange at the plant. It stated the paint burned off so quickly that the residual paint left at the high spots near the heads resembled "overspray" and many people incorrectly believe overspray to be correct.

I looked at a camaro restoration guide and it confirmed a photo of a 427 with painted exhaust manifolds and stated all big blocks would be the same.

My question is what was originally on the 396 block when painted at Tonawanda?

Exhaust manifolds?
Intake (if cast Iron)?
bypass hose and clamps?
oil filter?

I've heard these should all be orange but would like confirmation.

Thanks!

------------------

Check out my 69 SS

See the inprocess engine Bay detailing

Happy Motoring!

[This message has been edited by 69396ss (edited 12-17-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 01, 03:44 AM
Tech Team
Rick

Tom, I must have missed your posting on Team Chevelle. All Tonawanda big blocks had the exhaust, intake, valve covers, water pump and by-pass hose on when painted. If the engine had an aluminum intake and/or chrome valve covers, a cover was put over the top of the intake and valve covers to protect them somewhat. For concourse shows, check the type of shows you will be going to. Some judges will dock for overspray as over restored, other types of shows will dock you for lack of, so know your type. There should be slight overspray around the perimeter of the valve cover and intake. The entire area of the mounting surface between intake and heads were painted. The by-pass hose should have between total coverage and slight coverage on both ends. If the engine had aluminum heads, only slight overspray should be at the base of the head. To be concourse correct, I painted my LS-6 with all the components assembled (less oil filter). I started by painting the block with a cast iron colored epoxy in pieces, assemble the intake, valve cover, water pump, etc, on the block and then shot it all with epoxy orange. I somewhat rushed it to duplicate an assembly line. What I ended up with was very little paint behind the exhaust manifolds and water pump. On this car, I only painted the orange towards the top of the exhaust manifold because I wanted to simulate an engine that had been run and this car will likely not be run long enough to "burn off" the paint. The engines I have seen with total orange would somewhat incorrect as Chevrolet not only test ran every motor, but also drove every car on and off the transporter and the dealer also prepped it. By then, most had burned off. On manual trans cars, the bellhousing and flywheel also had slight over spray. The inspection cover was not installed at that time. Hopefully that helps. Most of this information was provided to my by an ex Tonawanda assembler and after spending over 100 hours of research fot the LS-6.

[This message has been edited by Rick_Nelson (edited 01-04-2001).]
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 01, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information Rick, here is the link in Team Chevelle if interested.

http://chevelles.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/003593.html

I found the link interesting as overspray on the exhast manifolds is believed correct by the majority of restorers as apposed to burn-off.

My car is a driver but I am attempting to go as concorse as reasonable on the engine bay detailing. Using correct paint finishes, QC dabs, markings and overspray is no extra cost and I must admit I'm enjoying the research.

I'll take your advice and paint the manifolds using high temp to simulate burn-off on the exhaust manifolds.

You have confirmed all I beleived to be true with one exception. A white AC Delco oil filter was used in 69, was this installed prior to painting on the assembly line and should this have heavy overspray as well?

PS: I'm originally from St. Paul and quite honestly am not missing it right about now.

------------------

Check out my 69 SS

See the inproccess engine bay detailing
Happy Motoring!

[This message has been edited by 69396ss (edited 01-04-2001).]

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 01, 04:35 AM
Tech Team
Rick

What do you mean? It is supposed to be 53 degrees Saturday? To the best of my research, the filter that was put on at Tonawonda and used for the run up was not painted. However, I do not know if Chevrolet installed a new filter at the cars assembly plant. As far as high temp paint, the best results are obtained by stripping the block and sandblasting it, then painting it with an epoxy. The paint is hard and wont discolor with age.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode