Help with Engine Installation - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 01, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Hey I'm installing a rebuilt longblock 327 on a '68, and I really don't have any practical V-8 experience. But I have read a ton, and worked on Mazda Rotaries. I have a few questions that I was wondering about:
How do I fit the oil pump pickup to the pump? Where do I install it?
Putting on the pan/tranny/etc is not a problem, but is there a good book on the engine electrical system? The factory manual doesn't offer much help. What are the basic electrical parts that I need to make the engine crank and run? I am figuring alternator, distributer, plugs, starter, etc. But how is it wired together? This will be my biggest tackle.
Also, How do I get the harmonic balancer on? It won't go all the way on, even when I put a board up and hit it with a hammer. Do I need the tool? Is there one I can buy at a mchine shop, or do I need the one in the manual?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 01, 08:53 AM
Senior Tech

Get a harmonic ballancer installer, a universal one with a bearing will be fine. A lot of folks swear by a threaded rod 7/16 fine thread along with some big honkin washers will work, but the rod may be tough to find. Do not use a hammer. The oil pump drive MUST be installed prior to installing the pump on the rear main cap. The drive rod is held in place by a small nylon ring. that is found in the oil pump box. Some rebuilders will offer a steel drive rod that does not use the nylon ring, these in my opinion are the way to go.
Take your time with the wiring and i'm sure you'll be okay. look around for a wiring manual for your car. there are a great many helpful folks on this site, you may want to spend some time searching for previous posts that pertain to your questions

John
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 01, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

The drive rod is a smal steel shaft that comes out of the oil pump, right? Or is it a seperate peice that I will have to buy? The oil pump box came with two nylon rings. Is one extra? What do I do with the pickup? Where does it go? Thanks a ton!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 01, 09:06 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Maybe I can help with some of your questions. bolt up the oil pump, and insert the pickup, so that it interferes with the oil pan. Position the oil pan, without the gasket, and push on it, forcing the pickup into position. Remove the pan, and move the pickup another 1/16", and tack it in place. When you install the gasket, the pickup will be 1/8" or so off the bottom of the pan. If the gasket is in place move the pickup 1/8" from the forced position.

Harmonic balancer--I thought you were supposed to use a sledge and a block of wood . You can probably rent one from the local auto parts store.(you buy the tool and get your money back, when you return it) The tool is not much more than a threaded stud with a nut, so that the strain on the threads is not the balancer bolt or the threads in the crank. Or you can make one from a long bolt and nut for one time use (preferably grade 8)
Wiring? I ended up hooking everything up on mine, cuz I kept looking at the wiring diagram, and couldn't figure out how to just wire to run the engine. Maybe someone smarter than me can help.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 01, 09:10 AM
Senior Tech

there's really only one place on the pump that the pickup can go. it just slides in, though it may be a tight fit. set the pump on the bearing housing where it will bolt to and the pickup will come out of the side towards the bottom. i just installed a balancer and the threaded rod works fine. get a piece of 7/16" all-thread from a fastener supplier in fine thread. get a couple of the thickest washers you can find big enough so that they don't go into the balancer. thread the rod in fully, use one bolt to push the washers and balancer on and have two bolts together at the outside end for backdrive.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 01, 10:13 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Just thought I'd mention this but make sure the timing chain cover is installed prior to installing the oil pan. Not trying to insult anybody just friendly advice. Also a 1 piece pan gasket might be of help I used one for the fisrt time and the results were great.

------------------
Black 69 camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode