Starter shimming SB350 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 01, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

I have a 69 Camaro SS and I installed a new SB 350 into it. When I try to start it the starter grinds. The Bendix gear gets stuck in the flywheel. I have tried to shim it but i can't get the distance between the flywheel and the starter shaft down to 1/8 of an inch. Currently it is almost twice that distance. However the distance between the flywheel and the starter nose housing is less than 1/8 of an inch. If I shim the outer bolt only this distance decreases.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 01, 05:02 AM
Senior Tech
Lance

njr682-Give us a little more info on your setup. You may have the starter and flywheel combo mixed up. In general there are two different starters that are used on a Camaro. The mounting bolts for the starter that mates to an 10 1/4" flywheel are on opposing corners. The mounting bolts for the 11" flywheel are straight across from each other. Same starter, just different nose piece.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 01, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

The starter bolts are offset. How can I tell the size of the flywheel without removing it?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 01, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Count the number of teeth. 153=10.5 inch dia(small) 168=11-inch(large). Or measure with tape measure or 12-inch rule.

If it's in the car, then count the # of teeth between bolt holes and multiply by 3 or 6, depending how many holes used for clutch/torque convertor. This should get you into the ball park.

I don't personally think a small dia starter can ever be shimmed enough to work on a large dia flywheel and vica versa, big starter w/small flywheel.

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 01, 06:05 AM

I had the same problem in my 327.I tried to shim it and it would still hang on the fly wheel.The starter was old, so I went out and bought a new one.Worked fine and i didnt need any shims. If the starter is old try getting a newone
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 01, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

There are 28 teeth between bolt holes, 6 bolt holes, so its an 11 in flywheel
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 01, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Since you've suggested it's 11-inch, Spitfire suggests a starter with the bolts in a straight line will work, I agree, the mounting bolts will be of the same length.

You may want to take off the inspection cover and remove the solenoid from the starter so as one can manually operate, without cables hooked up, and check gear backlash by using a small paper clip. The correct distance between the starter pinion and ring gear with hand-operated solenoid engaged is the paper clip diameter between the two gears, i.e. pinion tooth and ring gear valley. Adjust starter nose with shims accordingly.

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 01, 10:37 AM
Senior Tech

shiming the inner bolt move's the starter away from the ring gear. shimming the outer bolt move's it closer. shimming both move's it out and down away from the ring gear.

if you look at the bottom of the starter nose you will se a slot the size of a flat tip screw driver. it is there to put a flat tip screw driver in so you can move the gear forward to check the gear clearance. i have a gage that i use that check's the clearance on the gear shaft to the ring gear. i need to mesure it i will post the size after i do that.

it work's great and you do not have to mess with moving the gear forward. make's it a bit less dificult to check.

i have only had to shim BB motor's. a SB should not need shimming unless you have a BOP starter nose. they are machiened diferant but work. that is why there are shim's cause the rebuilder's are too lazy to seperate the diferant nose's apart. on a BB there is for some resone a slightly diferant starter pad i belive it is casting error and machiening by G.M that causes this.

this has just been my experiance, i might be wrong. but it is the only answer i have come up with, also i got the info on the starter nose's from a very good rebuilder who got sick of warenty come back's on his starter's. he started checking and found this out about the nose's. he now keep's them sperate. he has never had to shimm a SB motor after he did this. just the BB so i guess he came up with the same thing i did.

[This message has been edited by ilbl8 (edited 04-02-2001).]
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 01, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your help. I will try a starter with a straight bolt pattern and will post my results!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode