Speedometer Cable firewall seal - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 00, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
BUD
Tech Team

Does anyone know how to place the end of the speedometer cable housing through the small hole in the round rubber seal that fastens to firewall. The last car I restored I think I ended up cutting the seal to get it through. Has anyone found the solution? I bet originally the seal was placed on the cable housing before the ends were attached.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 00, 02:48 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

Anyone? I did the same thing BUD did and my seal keeps popping out. Never could figure this one out.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 00, 04:23 PM
Team Member
John

The speedo grommet was subassembled to the cable just before the cable was installed to the car. The secret? a 3"-long metal cone, pointed at the small end, just a little larger at the big end than the threaded collar on the cable. The speedo end of the cable was placed inside the cone, the cone was lubricated with soapy water, and the cone was stuffed through the hole in the speedo grommet; remove the cone, stick the speedo end of the cable through the dash from the engine side, seat the prongs on the grommet in the hole, and you're done. (standard Chevy assembly aid - I did this job for a few days on Corvairs and Chevy II's in 1964 at Willow Run). Improvise a cone and you're in business.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 00, 07:17 AM
AJ
Tech Team

John, what would we do without you?
Had the same problem on my'69 Z.
Thanks for the "cure".
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 00, 10:03 AM
Senior Tech

John, I keep printing out your posts for reference. It would be easier if you could send me a copy of your brain. Did you ever think about writing a book?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 00, 11:24 AM
Team Member
John

Just glad I can help out occasionally - as someone once said, "Youth and exuberance are no substitute for age and experience", or something like that. After 36 years in the car assembly and automotive manufacturing engineering business, you learn a few things - the secret is to remember them. My wife claims a copyright on my brain, and she won't allow any copies - unless she gets a really healthy advance.....

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 00, 09:00 PM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

JohnZ, I notice your name over on the Corvette forum as well. There are a few books that cover the Corvette assembly plant/process with some really cool pics. It would be nice if there was something that covered the Camaro assembly plant/process as well. The Camaro has quite a history and a large following. Have you or someone you know given a thought to putting a book together covering this aspect of the early Camaro?

------------------
'69 SS 396/375hp L78 M21 3.73 Fathom green/medium green interior

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewP...695&p=33013081
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode