Performance and fuel milage - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 16th, 01, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Question

I own a '67 RS Camaro with orig. 327 4 speed.
It gets approx. 16 MPG and 14 MPG w/AC this is killing me. I purchaced a 6 speed but have not installed it yet. My question is, should I change to a LS1, LT1 or aftermarket EFI? Looking for all around best choice and why. It is a daily driver. Thanks, Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 16th, 01, 04:38 AM
Senior Tech

Man I wish i got as good a gas milage as u do.. i have a 350 that only gets 10 -12 mpg! I used to get about what u do and then ame my stall converter

------------------
69 Camaro RS, 355ci mild cam, Preformer rpm intake, edelbrock 600 carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit 2500 stall, 10 bolt 2.73 any more questions ask
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 16th, 01, 04:58 AM

I'm installing a lt1/t56 six speed in a 3rd.gen car. I am being told to expect 20 mpg and 18 mpg when you have your foot in it. The double over drive has got to be a nice luxury.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 17th, 01, 01:35 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
i look at it this way...

my car is my toy, mpg is better than gpm, to some/most.if i got double digit mpg,i'd be estatic.so enjoy the fruits of your labor.

p.s. if i wanted gas milage,i'll buy an import....NOT.

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Smile

At this time Im going to buy the after market edelbrock efi, has any one tried these? it seems LT1 parts are really high even if I can get a low mileage engine for 1400.$ The point of this is it is a work car that I enjoy driving I also own a 600hp 1937 chevy coupe for a weekend toy but I need to be reallistic with my work car after all I have to live to!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 11:01 AM

Although gas prices are worrable right now it is important why you started with camaros in the first place. And now with prices the way they are now, i'll be a lot happier to drive my camaro around town cause everyone is buying little wussy 4 cyl cars- and by the way, do they have the hp, sound and looks of a muscle car?- i dont think so

------------------
<---Brandon--->
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 03:01 PM

Cool

I just receintly took a cruz down to Pensacola, Fl. this weekend from Alanta, Ga. It was a 350 mile trip one way took about 5 hours. Now... are you ready for this. I got an AMAZING 27 mpg in the car!! I drove down there on 1 (that is ONE) tank of gas with two gallons left to spare. I have a 90 IROC w/ an LT1, T5 tranny and a 3:73 rear. How's that for performance and efficiency! The Lt1 is great. It's a solid engine. Very soon I plan on putting the T56 in. Hope that encouraged you.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 03:44 PM
Senior Tech

I like the idea about the LS1 Or LT1. I know they run great especally the LS1.It runs better than most modified carb engines, and is smooth as a Cadillac.Both combos should get well over 20 miles per gallon,if set up like a new car. Sounds like the way to go.

------------------
69 Camaro SS 350 4 speed
55 Belair Sedan Pro Street 355 auto 9''
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 04:37 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

I've gotten up to 28 mpg with a supercharged LT1 in my 93(A4 trans with 3.23 gears). But when you drive very spirited it will drop down to the 14-15 mpg range. So far, around 40K miles and I'm averaging close to 17.5 mpg. If you run EFI, you really need to run a setup that uses O2 sensors to allow the computer to adjust the mixture for maximum efficiency.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged), Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, being restored
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 05:02 PM

I have a T-56 in my 69 with an old rebuilt 327. It has headers, 3.73 gears, Quadrajet 750 and performer intake and cam. I took it on a little road trip this weekend and was able to get around 18 mpg highway driving. If the motor had a bit more torque down low I bet I could break into the low 20's mpg. In 6th gear at 2000 rpm I'm going 80 mph! Any EFI will increase your mpg.

Joseph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode