original engine - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 01, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

I own a '69 RS/Z28. my uncle bought the car in the early 80's and it was complete and original. durring its trip up WA from TX, it was stored it Denver and the block only had water in it, so it cracked. Back then my uncle was just like, watever, bigger is better anyways so he just threw away the original engine. He got the drive terrain done and did a lot of body work(his job), and drove it for about 5 years. Then he got into drugs and the car sat for 15 years or so, and he realized he would never get around to fixing it, so he sold it to me since it was my dream car. I paid $800 for the car w/out engine, tranny, steering column, and most of the interior was and still is gone. Well my question is i am in college and all so i don't have lots of money gut the car is road worthy, with a 350 in it, currently under 1k miles on it. I am curious if anyone knows where i can get a complete DZ302 that needs rebuilt for under 3k, or let me know if im dreaming. If anyone knows someone personally that has one, and might b interested in partial trade for my 350, or agian if i am totally dreaming.

I would also like to know if $6k is a little steep for a 302, cause it seems like it is to me. Thanks for any advice/info. Jon

'69 RS/Z28
'89 Bonneville SSE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 01, 02:18 PM

Lightbulb

Hey !!
you could save some cash and get your 302 , just do what everyone else doe's ,
the 69 302 was only built from two block's
#386 and #388 , they also made 327's and 350's out of those two bloock #'s , then get a set of 186 head's and a 462 intake and you have a instant 302 , you could do that fairly cheap , hope that help's

------------------
67 RS 327 deluxe tach gauges , with 1967 Virginia plates 759-898
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 01, 02:24 PM
Senior Tech
In Memoriam

If you look in the parts for sale section of this site,there is a DZ 302. The post has a price of $3500 without the intake and carb, $4100 with. I think it was a May built engine, you may contact the guy and see if he still has it. These parts are just going to get more expensive.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 01, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

thanx for the tip, while im on the subjec though, i heard somewhere that u can build an LT1 302. Take the crank from the 4.3 liter V8 in the newer impallas, then use a newer 350 block, and wha la, a generation two LT1 302. This didnt make much sense because to make a normal one its a 327 block with the smaller crank in it. can anyone varify this? I dont think i would try it, but its a curious notion. Thanx Jon

'69 RS/Z28
'89 Bonneville SSE
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 10:36 AM
Senior Tech
John

My advice... forget about the 302 and go for a 502, you'll enjoy it more.

John
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 01:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

1969 302's were built from 3 blocks.

the 3932388 block was rarely used.
The 388 block was mainly a 350/300hp block
I've seen mostly in Pace Cars.

No matter which way you look at it, it's going to cost you some bucks to build a 302. The parts arent cheap.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 02:34 PM
kel
Senior Tech

I agree with the others.

Forget about the 302 unless you find a steal. Either way it won't be the orginal engine nad thus a lot of the value is lost.

You could keep the low milage 350 or put a stroker in there for a lot less money and probably get better performance to boot. A big block would be nice but it takes a lot of $$ to change that small block car to a big block car. That is, components on top of the price of the engine.

Just my 2 cents. Enjoy the car!

Kel

------------------
It never ends...it just keeps getting better!http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=0&res=high
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode