68 ragtop - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 00, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Jon

my ragtop's doors are sagging down and my windshield is swaying from side to side when i lift the door up and down on each side what do i need to look for and replace?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 00, 09:19 PM
Senior Tech

It sounds like you have some problems with the integrity of your frame. Have you looked for rust or damage from an accident?

Steve R.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 00, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Jon

when i looked under the car it is totally rotted out i need to change the floors but how do i do that without damaging or twisting the body?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 00, 09:58 AM
Senior Tech

Jon, to answer your question in the other post you have you can use hardtop floor pans. They are the same as conv. There is alot more floor bracing on a conv but the floor themselves are the same. Now to answer this one. A friend and myself are in the middle of doing a huge job on a 69 Buick Electra conv. He bought a Arizona frame that he wanted installed but it can't even be done that easily because the floors were gone, as in pretty much missing. The car was so bad that most of the frame came off with just a hammer and pulling on it. When you opened the door the windshield frame would actually drop a bit. If you shut the door gently it would not even come close to lining up with the quarter. You either had to slam it or pick up on the rear wheelwell. Yes the rear wheelwell to pick up the quarter. He is a eccentric old man in his seventies that has owned these 69 Electra conv since they came out and to him they are the best cars ever made. To him. Anyway there is no doubt you will never ever see a car as bad as this one. The floors were so bad that we had to get a parts car and literaly sperate the bottom half from the top and weld in the bottom half of the parts car into the "good" car. From inner rocker to iner rocker and from firewall to the rear of the back seat, all one piece. We had to take all kinds of measurements, line up the doors to the rear quarters and rockers (they don't really move so they have to be straight) and of course we had to gut the interior. With the interior guttted we welded angle iron from the kick panel area to the rear panel area on each side. Also welded a couple cross braces as extra support as this is a huge car. In our case when we did the floors the only thing holding the front half of the car to the back was the angle iron and outer rockers. This is a little extreme but the key parts are you have to make sure the car is straight before you start welding in new peices to make it more sturdy. You pretty much have to build a jig to hold the car straight while its torn apart. If its sagging and moving while its together just inagine when you start cutting.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 00, 06:05 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Cars back then and even now are built on a datam line, and when you take all of this stuff apart and put it back together you have to maintain this integrity otherwise its not going to go back together again. How to do it, you need to build a fixed foundation for the shell and put it up on it.

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode