Info on 6 speeds in a 68 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 01, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Question

Hey Guys, I just bought a 68 SS and I am building it into a Pro Touring Machine. I see alot of T-56's and Richmond 6 speeds in 67-68-69's out there and I'd like to know what Is involved in installation. oh..just to let you know, theres a 383 stroker with a ProCharger on the engine stand itching to make its way into the new project =)

Thanks
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 01, 07:08 AM
Senior Tech

Exclamation

Either way is a very viable option.

Several have done the hydraulic T-56,and several (me included) have done the Richmond.

In both cases you will need some crossmember work, driveshaft work, and in the case of the Richmond, tranny-tunnel modification where the shifter comes through.

Hopefully Teetoe-Jones will see this. He has a bracet kit for ease of installation when doing the T-56 install.

David
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 01, 08:09 AM
Senior Tech

and lest we not forget the speedometer issue.. It will cost you some additional money and down time to make your stock speedo work with the T56. $295 + shipping + handling + insurance to send your tailshaft out to get it modified to drive a cable-and then a minimum two week turn around time. Or, go simple and switch to an electronic speedo. Cross member fabrication-or modify your existing one.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 01, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Ok, Thanks Guys,
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 01, 08:46 PM
Senior Tech

The Richmond is the easiest, its just like a five speed which is like a four speed, t56 uses some weird bellhousing, uses a hydraulic throwout bearing all kinds of conversions, the richmond is expensive but worth it much more straight forward and simple and a better tranny and you can pick your gear ratio
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 06:58 AM
Senior Tech

I agree with Cody about the Richmond being a better choice-if you have the money! You can get the T56, with bellhousing, comlete hydraulic clutch assy., clutch, pressure plate and shifter for around $1k at most any junk yard. Then with some fab work you can be in business. I think that for most DIY'ers the T56 is very easily accomplished. However if I had the money to throw around, i would have gone the Richmond route.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 01, 03:23 PM
Senior Tech
Don

I really like the Richmond 6 in my 67. As stated earlier, it is much easier to work with than the T-56, not to mention it's much stronger....have pic>> http://www.members.aol.com/zz430drop.../img_0022.jpg/ I will be glad to answer any questions...

------------------
zz430droptop67rs
Pro-Touring.com My Page
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS/Z28

[This message has been edited by ZZ430DropTop67RS (edited 07-28-2001).]
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 01, 03:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
There is a Richmond 6 speed listed for sale in the Classifieds section of this Web site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode