Dropping the front end on my 69' RS - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 00, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

I am interested in dropping the front end on my 69' RS. I want to drop it 1-1.5",maybe even 2 inches. I am interested in cutting the small block springs in the front end to do this. Can anyone let me know if they have done this & how many coils they had to cut to achieve the perfect height. As well what are the drawbacks in cutting the coils as far as the ride after this has been done?
Thanks
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 00, 07:37 PM
Senior Tech
Dana

Talking

Tony,

I have had to replace cut coil springs on many '69 Z/28's that I have restored over the years as it was the thing to do some time ago. If that is what you want I would cut exactly one coil. Make the cut directly below the current end of the spring and do this at the top of the springs. The drawbacks are forget having a front spoiler when your done, if you have headers the collectors will get smashed, cant run anything bigger that 215 or 225/60's w/o rubbing inner fender, etc.

Good Luck!

------------------
1969 RS-Z/28: Matching #'s DZ302, M20, 3.73, Tuxedo Black, Deluxe Black Interior, Factory Tach, Clock and Console Gauges, PS, Rear Defrost, Spoilers, ZL2 Special Ducted Hood.

'85 Z/28, 355 TPI w/ Crane Compu-Cam 2040, Crane adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 22# Injectors, TPIS Airfoil, K&N filters, Hypertech ThermoMaster Stage 2 Chip for '85 Vette, 160 Degree Thermostat, DynoMax Cat Back Exhaust, Rebuilt/Updated 700R4 w/shift kit, 3.23 posi rearend.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 00, 10:08 AM
Senior Tech

Yeah, He's right. One coil will give you about 1" to 1.25". I just put a set of new small block (with a/c) springs on my 67. It sat way too high. It is now perfect height with 235/60/15's in front on 15"x7" rally's. Don't go any further than this. If I had it to do over again I would probably go with a set of performance lowering springs, like Hotchkis. My front end is a little soft. Good Luck.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 00, 01:55 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

Mike, you can tighten your front end up with a bigger swaybar. The swaybar also dampens suspension movement while driving straight on an irregular surface. It's just like having a higher spring rate.

Before I put my Hotchkis bar on, I could bounce my front suspension up and down about an inch or so by pushing on the fender. After, I can barely move the suspension at all.

Also, If you go with an aftermarket steering box, you can have the stops customized for the wider tires so they won't rub. AGR Steering will do this for you. This will impact your turning radius, but that is only a problem in tight places like parking lots where my car doesn't go much anyway.

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 11/29/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

[This message has been edited by gheatly (edited 12-05-2000).]
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 00, 03:07 PM
Senior Tech

Thanks for the tip gheatly. Luckily I dont have a rubbing problem, but the info on the sway bar is helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode