Tire Sizes! AHHHH!! - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 00, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Question

I'm wondering how i can get a "Jacked' Up " look for my '79? I was told i could do it mainly by tire size. I plan on running Crager SS's, so mabey throw me some rim sizes too!! Just wondering what looks good?
I want smaller in front too.

P.S. I also plant on getting sub-frame connecters and those torque lift bars. What do you guys think?

2 '79 Camaros 355/TH400 & 302
'79 Vette (i'm a lucky guy)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 00, 11:44 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Are you going to wear bell bottom polyester jeans when you drive your car too? The jacked up look has been out of style for a l-o-n-g time.

Seriously, you don't want to raise the rear end too high because it has a negative impact on handling and braking. The best way to do it is with custom shackles. If you get too big of a tire, you will negatively impact your effective rear end gear ratio and your speedo will be way off.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my new and improved website at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 00, 08:52 PM
Senior Tech

I agree that the jacked up look is just that jacked up. It has been out of style for quite awhile, granted it is somewhat different from the norm, remember that different is not necessarily better. I would go with air shocks. Just put the deepest rim you can find on it.

Steve R.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 00, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

What the hell ever, i just want is to get the sag out of the rear-end. I would NEVER lower a car, except for the front.
All i want to know is, what the best set-up is for good traction and a good ride hight?

------------------
Pat355
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 00, 03:46 AM

I probably wouldn't get into it too far with a 79 either. I dont know about that car but on a 68, a tire size of 60x15 235, is about the biggest you can go with out modifications. And you still rub once in awhile on train tracks and parking lot entrances and that will tick you off. But you do get a cool subtle jacked up look that looks pro and not gaudy.
http://www.geocities.com/macgse/68CamaroRS.html

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 00, 09:17 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Thumbs up

Lyonsp,

When you said "jack-up" the back, I was envisioning a car from the 70s with the rear end about a foot higher than stock.

If all you need to do is get the ride height up due to sagging springs, I agree with Steve. Get a pair of Monroe air shocks.
However, your best bet would be to replace the springs with new ones. The additional cost of new springs over the Monroes won't be too much.

I have a friend that has a 72 Firebird. The problem with the 2nd gens is that you have to use 70 - 80 series tires to make them look good in the wheelwell. We are in the process of rebuilding his front end and we bought some lowering springs. We are having a hard time with the tire size.

The best tires I have actually seen on a 2nd gen were 265/70/15. The car (a T/A) sat at stock ride height. As for rims, late 70s performance models got 15x8 rims. I don't know what the backspacing was though.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my new and improved website at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 00, 12:43 PM

Angry

If he wants to Jack up his rear LET him jack it up. Its HIS car. My chevelle is 1"-1.5" higher then stock all around and I get great compliments on it. Nobody saying hey man you leave that car in the 70's and come cruissing when you lower it to scrape the street.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 00, 02:53 AM
Senior Tech

My old 74 camaro was a tank, I put air shocks on the back with my lakeside traction bars. it looked ok as long as I didnt pump them up so high it looked stupid.. but I also had L60 Bias ply's on the back that made it fill that big wheel well..

What company is it that makes the air shocks called "Hi-jackers" was it Gabril? or monroe?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 00, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

So you guys are pretty much saying go with the air shocks? ok, thanks.
Sorry if i didn't make my self clear, but i just don't want the rear to be lower than the front (like most other 2nd gen's i see).

------------------
Pat355
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 00, 06:02 AM

Talking

Your in for a bumpy ride and a hoppy rear but they work.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 00, 08:09 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Like I said above, new springs are the best alternative.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 00, 05:32 AM

tHE AIR SHOCKS WILL ALLOW YOU TO ADJUST THE HEIGHT THE WAY YOU WANT AND RELATIVELY CHEAP.
CURRENTLY I AM THE PROUD OWNER OF 5 CAMAROS, WITH A VARIETY OF SUSPENSIONS AND TIRE/WHEEL COMBINATIONS. AIR SHOCKS RIDE ROUGH, POLY
BUSHINGS ARE TO STIFF FOR MY DRIVING PLEASURE. YOU NEED TO GET A SALES BROCHER FROM BFG AND IT HAS THE TIRE DIMINSIONS AND YOU CAN DECIDE ON THE SIZE. I HAVE A 70 Z WITH STOCK 15X8 WHEELS, STOCK SPRINGS AND NEW RUBBER BUSHINGS ETC. TIRES ARE 245X60X15 BFG. I PUT A NEW SET OF GABRIAL GAS SHOCKS FROM AUTO ZONE. THE CAR RIDES GREAT AND HANDLES WELL. TRACTION IS FINE EVEN WITH 410'S. GOOD LUCK, THE CAMARO GUY, BRUCE.
P.S. THE CAR SETS UP IN THE BACK ABOUT .5 IN TO THE FRONT.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode