Options for a '67 Shifter Neutral Saftey Switch? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 01, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have found the Neutral Saftey switch in my 67 to be very unreliable. I am into my second switch. As you may know the plastic housing and thin copper contacts are not best.

Have any of you found a way to modify the stock shifter with an aftermarket switch to make it work better?

I know that I can simply toggle it, but I want to keep it controled by the shifter for saftey reasons.

Thanks for any advise.

------------------
'67 SS Convertible Camaro 402BB, TH400, 3:73 12 Bolt Posi [email protected]
Pennsylvania
Picture Link: http://www.geocities.com/jjknotts/1967Camaro.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 01:39 AM
Tech Team

Jonh, it's Chris, Why don't you try and rig a safty switch to your clutch pedal instead of the shifter? It will do the same thing, prevent the vehicle from starting unless the pedal is depressed. If thats the safty that your looking for. It's also great if your have little kids around like I do that love being in the car. They are to small to depress the clutch but aren't to small to shift into neutral and possibly start the car. Almost every newer car today has this swicth so finding one that you can retrofit shouldn't be a problem, Chris
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 01:45 AM
Tech Team

John, sorry, I didn't realize your had an automatic. Maybe try a switch from a high end car like an older Mercedes or something. They seem to last and alot of them had console setups making the retro a little easier, Chris

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 02:02 AM
Senior Tech
Daniel

John,
Are you using one made for a TH400 or a powerglide?
Daniel

------------------
67 RS/SS 350 2004R (owned since 81)
97 V6 5-speed Coupe (work car ordered new)
My Camaro

[This message has been edited by 67ss350camaro (edited 07-27-2001).]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

Hey Daniel,

The shifter came from a PG since the Detent had only 2 drive notches. I modified the shifter with a new detent from Shiftworks set up for a 3 or 4 speed.

The neutral saftey "switch" appears to be the same for PG and TH400. The only differance if is the aluminum bracket attachment on the switch.

I had a go around with the guy who puts the switches together at Rick's First Gen and he confirmed that the switches are the same and the bracket you use is dependent on the hole configuration on the shifter. Since my shifter was salvaged from a PG car I have been buying the PG switch and bracket.

I am interested in hearing your comments on this and how the TH400 bracket and set up would change the configuration on the shifter.

My problems are around getting the Park contact to close the circuit. One time it works the next it wont. The adjustment is limited.

What I am doing now is I have the wire harness connector pulled from the shifter connector and am using a a piece of heavy gauge wire to complete the circuit when I need to start the car.

Very rigged and I need a reliable solution.

Thanks in advance for any help.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 06:21 AM
Senior Tech
Daniel

John,
I am not sure how much help I am going to be (not having a TH400), but it sounds like you need to get the correct bracket, of modify the one you have for better adjustment. I know there is not much room with the shifter in the car, so you may want to take it out and do your testing on the bench. You should be able to determine if the problem is the switch or the adjustment of the switch. Are you sure when you switch the plate, that you got it in the right place?
Daniel

------------------
67 RS/SS 350 2004R (owned since 81)
97 V6 5-speed Coupe (work car ordered new)
My Camaro
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I plan on pulling it again this weekend and see what happens. Thanks for your help.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode