HELP ON UNDERCARRIAGE - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 00, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

ANY HELPFUL TIPS ON THE BEST WAY TO TAKE OFF THE UNDERCOATING ON MY 69 CAMARO. I KNOW THIS IS A MESSY JOB AND WOULD APPRECIATE SOME
IDEAS. I HAVE USED KEROSENE AND PUTTY KNIFES
BEFORE AND WHAT A JOB!! THANKS, THE CAMARO GUY.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 00, 05:58 AM
Senior Tech
Drake

Cool

This was posted a few months ago,we had a long thread on it,you might want to do a search on the subject.I think it was under "body shop"
I used a "bernzOmatic" torch when I did mine.Heat it up,and it scrapes right off.The undercoating is flammible though,so have an extinguisher handy,and do it outside or in a well ventilated area,the fumes are toxic.
If you havent been scared away yet,give it a try.

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching,
4X4 CHEVY TRUCK
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 00, 06:02 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

what about a pressure washer? would that do it?
other then that, i know if you use a wire wheel on a drill, all it does is clogs up.
but it may be easier then using the old putty knife and elbow grease method. i've actually heard of people burning it off with a propane tourch and at the same time, scrapping it with a putty knife. stupid if you ask me, but it worked.
good luck and have fun,
bruce

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 00, 10:23 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

I have used the torch method, it just takes a lot of time.

------------------
67 SS
70 Z/28
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 00, 11:33 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

I used some plain old paint stripper and it worked very easily. Again use it in a well ventalated area and watch out what you get it on.

------------------
Bob H. 68 Camaro, 72 Nova, 82 Vette. Check out my WEB site.
http://www.geocities.com/bh3chevy/Bobs_All_Chevy
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 00, 01:29 PM
Tech Team

What about media blasting? I didn't do my car's undercarriage, however, the former owner did bead blast the entire body and undercarriage and it came out real nice.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 00, 02:45 PM
Senior Tech

Yes, this subject has been brought up before and I replied then and I'll give you the same reply now. DON"T use a torch to heat up the undercoating. This is very dangerous, especially if you hit a fuel line! (Have you ever tried to extinguish a burning tire, same material as undercoating) The easiest way I've found to remove the undercoating is with my air hammer and a chisel bit. Set the air hammer on it's lowest setting, just so it starts to reciprocate the bit, but not enough to gouge the metal. Keep the bit flat to the surface and you'll be surprised how fast and easy this can be. If you must use heat to soften the undecoating, use a heat gun. It won't ignite the rubber or fuel lines. For areas that the bit can't get to, I used an angle grinder with a coarse wire wheel. It can get messy, but it will do the trick.

------------------
67 Camaro LS6 454/TH400/12bolt 3.73
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 00, 05:56 PM
Senior Tech

Cool

Obviously when I use the torch method, there is no gas tank, fuel lines, etc when I strip the coatings off a car but I can see someone out here that may take it literally. As always use caution and common sense. There a lot folks out here that have used other methods over the years and will express thier experience that has worked for them. There is no room in the boards for a person to slam down another persons opinion. Be constructive not critical. Just my humble opinion.

------------------
67 SS
70 Z/28
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 00, 06:03 PM

Smile

I did this last year on my '67. I saturated the bottom several times with spray Gunk, let it set overnight, and next day saturated it again real good. About an hour later I used my water hose with a pressure tip and about 90% came right off. Now this was in the mid summer and there was no insulation or interior in the car, so the floor was a little warm. It worked for me.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 00, 06:07 PM
Senior Tech

i just used a putty knife, a screwdriver and a hammer to chip off all of the nasty stuff on my rearend and tranny crossmember cane out really nice but it took me forever to do it. i also sandblasted the gastank while it was still installed.

------------------
BLack 69 coupe 350/TH400 factory A/C
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 00, 06:36 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Send a message via AIM to sixtsevnssrs
Wink

I used a propane torch, of course I removed the gas tank(DUH)and all the fuel lines and well, everything else. Your not burning the crap off just heating it up until you can scrape it off. Then sandblasted the firewall and the whole underside. primed it and painted it. You can see the result on my page! Took about a day to do the scraping. Ended up with about 35 pounds of crap.

------------------
Tim
67 ss/rs, MODIFIED
http://www.geocities.com/sixt7ssrs/
IM - sixtsevnss
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 00, 07:04 PM
Senior Tech

camaroguy, this wasn't meant anything derogatory to you, so don't take it that way. You left much to assumption on your first post. But, just my opinion, no more, no less.

------------------
67 Camaro LS6 454/TH400/12bolt 3.73
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 00, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

THANKS FOR THE INPUT FROM ALL YOU GUYS. I LIKE THE IDEA OF MEDIA BLASTING BUT THERE ARE NONE IN LITTLE ROCK. THE CAR IS ON A ROTERSERRIE AND JUST THE BODY STRIPPED OF ALL BOLT ON ITEMS WHICH SOULD MAKE THE DIRTY
TASK SOMEWHAT "EASIER" THIS IS A 39K L-78 4SPD DAYTONA YELLOW WITH A WHITE V-TOP CAR AND I WANT IT TO BE EXCELLENT. THE CAMARO GUY.

------------------
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 00, 09:19 AM
Senior Tech

When I did my car, I found that the undercoating had gotten somewhat brittle over the years. I could whack it with a light hammer and it would come off in chunks. The rest scraped off with a stiff putty knife.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 00, 08:22 AM
Tech Team
Jeff

I used a propane torch to heat up the undercoating and scraped with a putty knife /razor blade knife. After that I used a 3M Roloc rubber brissle pad on a die grinder for the remainder of the clean up. I also painted the underside with Sems Rustshield paint. It was very easy to use and doesn't cost to much.

A69RS

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode