powertrax rear end - function like a locker or like a posi? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 00, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i was wondering if any of you had any experience with the powertrax no-slip diff that was showcased in the december 2000 (pp76,77) issue of car craft. anyone heard any reports about these things? they look like a pretty good deal, considering the SEMA award in the top left hand corner of the page. how do they function? are they smooth? how much do they cost? let me know guys. thanks.

john
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 01:02 AM
Senior Tech
Freddie

I've been running a Power Tracks Lock Right in my truck for 3 years and it works like a locker.I haven't used the new no slip yet so I don't know how it works.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 02:21 AM
Senior Tech

Same as big gear head. I have the lock rights front and rear in my truck for years and they act like lockers rather than a posi. Don't know about the new ones

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 02:52 AM
Senior Tech

Can you hear them, or are they quite like a posi?

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed (Soon to be LT1)
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
"Speed KILLS, so drive a FORD and live forever!"
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 09:07 AM

Thumbs up

The Lock-Rites are GREAT for 4 wheeling, never used em in a car. But they work like this. The axle with the traction advantage gets the power. (as opposed to an open diff where the axle with the traction freewheels)

The ratcheting effect between the two axles can SOMETIMES clunk when turning. Not as loud as some more conventional units though.

One thing, they are definately the best bang for your buck! Id recommend them highly.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 09:53 AM
Senior Tech

FoMoCo are you on the right site? Just kidding, welcome! That pretty much sums it up. I have heard people tell me after I pull into a parking space that I need u-joints because they heard clicking. Noises aren't that apparent but driving with a locker is different than driving with a posi
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 10:59 AM

Hehe, Strange finding me here huh, well, a coworker has a 70 Camaro, so i was just checking out some tech stuff for him and ran into this site. I am not so partisan as to ignore a potential source of good tech info!!! And the info here can greatly help him!

And its neat to take a peek and see whats up on the "other side"

------------------
Without the Camaro the Mustang would be boring... Without the Mustang the Camaro would be boring...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

so does anyone have experience with this unit? its going into a car thats gonna need to handle (autocross) as well as go straight.
john
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 01:16 PM
Senior Tech

Yes-I have one!! Use for Auto Crossing? I would strongly recommend that you purchase/use a standard clutch type unit like the Eaton. Bear in mind that anytime you turn a sharp corner you will have to drive in a straight line for a short distance before the axles will lock together again.. If you are auto crossing does that not mean that you will be making consecutive left and then right hand turns repeatedly? I can easily see you spinning one wheel coming out of a sharp turn with a Powertrax unit.. A clutch type unit will lock the axles together in the middle of a sharp turn if enough torque is applied and I would think that this would be better than a Power Trax.. I can't think of one area where a Power Trax would be better than a properly set up clutch type unit-EXCEPT price and ease of installation.. You will be better off in the long run with a clutch type unit. But, if your heart is set on having one, I will trade you my Power Trax locker for a three series clutch type differential.. Any takers?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 04:38 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

The Lock Right is much better for off road use in a 4X4 than a clutch type unit because the clutches will slip in loose or slipery conditions or when one wheel comes off the ground. For street or asphalt racing the clutches may have some advantages, but consider this. All Winston Cup and Busch Grand National cars use Detroit Lockers on the short tracks and road courses. You may want to look into the Tractech (makers of the Detroit Locker) True Track. It is smoother than the locker or the clutch units. www.tractech.com

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"

[This message has been edited by big gear head (edited 12-06-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode