69 Z28 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 28th, 99, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

I need some help. Can someone please tell me how to ensure that a 69 is a REAL Z28? I understand that the data plate will have x77 on it but I've heard that is also an interior code. Any help will be great. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 99, 09:33 AM
Senior Tech
Kurt S

Take a look at http://www.camaros.org/diffs69.shtml. It should answer all your questions. Let me know if you have any other ?'s.

We are always collecting data on cars. You can submit it at http://www.camaros.org/researchdata.shtml.
You can also include questions that you have.

Thanks!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 99, 08:47 PM

Hey camaroFL!

I just purchased a '69 Z 28 myself. Prior to making my purchase, I went down to the local Barnes & Nobles and bought some first generation Camaro books including an identification book. These books have proved to be extremely helpful in my quest to buy and re-build a real-deal Z.

The ID book I have states that the trim codes for a Z 28 can be either a X33 (style trim w/Z 28) and the X77 (base model Z 28). I've also been told that only the cars built in Norwood will feature these codes. I guess the Van Nuys built Z 28s do not feature these codes???

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by ChuckZ (edited 06-08-99).]

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 99, 04:39 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
That is correct, ChuckZ....

Van Nuys (LOS) cars have an internal plant code instead of the Norwood X-codes. It is thought that these plant codes could lend some info, but they haven't yet been decoded.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 00, 05:21 PM
Tech Team

Red face

hi,

i happen to own a van nuys early 69. chambered exhaust, pretty nice car. it's a MULTIPLE problem car though. it took a lot of decipering. it's missing the partial VIN on the block castings, and it also has the funny van nuys thing. http://www.69zee.homestead.com it's an alright car... and i think maybe a good example of a van nuys with all of those funny van nuys problems. well if you have any questions you can reach me at [email protected]

thanks

------------------
69 Z28 RS. ORIGINAL window sticker. GM documentation from work being done. Replacement P.O.P from early 69. Fresh off RESTO. 500 miles since put on. NICE car! EMAIL me for PICS!

69Z ([email protected])
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 00, 07:23 PM
Tech Team

69z28rsMATCH#s,
Nice resto job. You can tell that somebody really took their time with the details.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 00, 05:04 AM
Tech Team

Talking

thank you,

as i said previously though it was a pain in the butt. it was a very difficult car because of it being a van nuys. and as i have learned CRG has more then a few cars with missing partial vins. all van nuys i believe. my car isn't documented on CRG althoguh i would like to see it on here. but some of the required stuff is a little over my understanding of my car. i had a lot of work done from GM dealers and private shops. so i honestly know the basics such as the numbers but i can't say exactly where the ones under the car are or things like that. so if you could please email me and maybe you could help me since you are part of the tech team. thanks!

69z

------------------
69 Z28 RS. ORIGINAL window sticker. GM documentation from work being done. Replacement P.O.P from early 69. Fresh off RESTO. 500 miles since put on. NICE car! EMAIL me for PICS!

69Z ([email protected])
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 00, 05:28 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Question

69Zrs...when I saw the car...before you purchased it....it looked to me like a very accurate restoration.

Why do you say that it is "a pain in the butt"? I thought he did a nice job.

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my car ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry(updated 8/14/00)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 00, 12:40 PM
Jeremiah

If your car was built before december of 68 it will not have an X code like the LA cars.X77 is a base Z/28 X33 is a Z/28 with style trim.Start checking #s the Z/28s had a unique casting # on the steering knuckle.A good way to find out if it was at least an SS is to check for a duall exhaust hanger bracket on the outside of the framerail just behind the drivers side rear tire.Get some books and start reading.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 00, 05:06 PM
Tech Team

If you want to get more intimate with all of your parts, the internet has a bunch of sites that offer help in finding and decoding parts. CRG is one of the best, If you haven't given them all of the numbers off your car, you should. It doesn't take much time and it helps you and the CRG. As far as books, Jerry McNeish has a great book on 69 Z/28 available.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 00, 05:45 PM
Senior Tech
Dana

Cool

This is a commonly asked question on this forum. The best advice is to buy one or both of the following books. The Definitive 1969 Z/28 Fact Book book by Jerry McNeish and the 1969 Camaro Reference Book by John R. Hooper. If you read these you will know much more thn can easily be posted here. Good luck!

And it is not true that most or all of Van Nuys built cars are missing their partial VIN as I have had 3 Van Nuys built 1969 Z/28's that all had there VIN right on the engine block ID pad.

------------------
1969 RS-Z/28: DZ302, M20, 3.73, Tuxedo Black, Deluxe Black Interior, Factory Tach, Clock and Console Gauges, Rear Defrost, Spoilers, ZL2 Hood.

[This message has been edited by DWCamaro69 (edited 09-02-2000).]
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 00, 11:05 AM
Tech Team

Talking

it's a pain in the butt because it took forever to verify it being number correct. and it kills me to drive it! but he restored it and said it was all there but i wanted to know for sure.

well Cya

69z

------------------

69Z ([email protected])
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode