stripes on a z28 under or over - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 00, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

just about finished restoring a 69 z28 after 4 years. she goes to the paint shop next week. what the shop is telling me is that there are two ways of doing the stripes on a base coat clear coat paint job. i can have the stripes painted on before the clear coat which they tell me will be a better job, but you will not be able to feel the stripe like oem. the other option is to paint the stripes on the clear coat. the shop feels that base clear isn't oem so go with the stripe under. what do you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 00, 11:31 AM

Wink

I dont know, when I'm doing something that is going to make the car look better rather than the OEM stock look. I always choose the way that looks better. It also depends if you are going to be entering the car into shows. Or what your personal feelings are.
www.geocities.com/macgse/68CamaroRS.html
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 00, 01:40 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Depends on what you are after. If your doing things like making sure the intake has that factory overspray look and date correct plug wires then paint it correct! Sounds like you really answered this already because your going basecoat/clearcoat. Put the stripes under the clear... You'll be glad you did!

------------------
...DjD
Topless'69
[email protected]

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 00, 01:53 PM
Senior Tech

No other way but under the clear!!!

------------------
68SS ZZ4, 4sp T-10, 12 bolt, getting painted

78Z28, 330hp vortec, TH350, 10 bolt (just finished)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 00, 02:37 PM
Senior Tech

I agree, stripes under the clearcoat. If this was a concourse restoration I would do differently. Very few people will likely notice.

Steve R.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 00, 11:08 AM
tim

we all know the new paints hold up better one reasoning is the clear so i would want it UNDER clear it will match with time better to
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 00, 11:31 AM
Tech Team

Talking

Under, of course. It will give the car that finished look and i think it would be a better eye catcher.

------------------
Joel
1969 Z28
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 00, 02:25 PM
Senior Tech

Car came originally with single stage paint, no clear coat. The base/clear repaint will look different anyway so I'd say go with the stripes under the clear. Lot less trouble all around.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 00, 06:04 PM
Senior Tech

Cool

I'm painting the stripes on my 70 Z/28 tomorrow. They will be under the clear. Much cleaner look.

------------------
67 SS
70 Z/28
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 00, 05:10 AM

dido on the stripes under the clear. Make sure the painters have the correct specs on the stripes. There is nothing worse to a Camaro lover than see a car with the stripes
painted on incorrectly.Good luck. The Camaro
Guy, Bruce.

------------------
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 00, 07:54 AM
Senior Tech

I had mine put on under the clear and would recommend that approach. I'm having my car color sanded and buffed next week and it definitely won't look like the original paint job!

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 00, 09:44 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

I agree with Rocky. The one that always gets me on Z-28s is that people paint the stripes all the way to the back lip of the trunk. On the factory paint job, the stripe ended under the spoiler.

Also, if you have white stripes, paint the area under the cowl white. that's what they did at the factory.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 00, 01:02 PM
Senior Tech

Me being the great decision maker that I am, I have one car with them under the clear coat and one on top. While the ones under the clear look "sleeker" they just don't look right. My older brothers' friends had these original cars when I was in high school and I distinctly remember how you could see that the stripes were laid over the body color. If I had an original Z28 I would definitely paint them over the clear - it's part of the car's character - no question. This is assuming that the rest of your car appears original - be consistent with your "theme".

[This message has been edited by Kevin (edited 04-03-2000).]
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 00, 02:35 PM
Senior Tech

About 15 years ago I had a flat deck ski boat and a full size Jeep Cherokee Chief tow vehicle. I painted them both myself and did a matching paint scheme of a white base with red, orange, and yellow stripes. (Yea - it's a bit out of date now!) The boat was done with the colors all in lacquer and a urethane clear topcoat. I buried the stripes under lots of clear and color sanded and buffed it. The truck was done in acrylic enamels with the stripes laid on top. The white got cleared before the stripes and then the stripes got cleared after they were done.

The difference in the look between the 2 was significant! The boat looked sleek and custom and the paint looked like one big wet dream. The truck looked like.... a truck with stripes. Obviously the color sanding and buffing did have an impact but it's tough to color sand stripes that are a big layer up from the base paint without thinning down the edges too much and cutting through the color.

The message is - at least IMHO - if you're after a custom paint job with the smooth finish and deep wet look - you need to bury the stripes and do the extra sanding and buffing work. If the stock look is what you are after, then laying the stripes on top works just fine.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 00, 04:09 PM
Senior Tech

Wink

i like it better on the bottom!!!

------------------
To see a pic of my car, click here... pages.prodigy.net/mtbmtb/rf396ss.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode