Need help with 69 SS - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 01, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Question

I have posted hear before with great success and I need your guy's help again. I have a 383ci motor with a 350TH. I just took off my 850cfm Holley and put on a 600 cfm edelbrock so I can rebuild the 850. Well the problem is consistent with both carbs. After letting the car warm up to operating temp. and drive it for about 20 minutes, the car stalls, stumbles, and then starts to backfrire, and then it eventually just turns off. This chaos all happens within about 20 seconds. Also the car will not start unless it has been sitting almost all day, or until it completely cools down. It sounds really bad when I try to turn the engine over after it dies. I have MSD ignition, mallory 140 fuel pump, unilite dist. It has been happening for a while now, not consistent with any temperature of the car or the weather. I have always guessed it to be related to vapor lock or something along those lines. Could it be that the fuel is boiling before it gets to the carb. Any tips would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks
Conan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 01, 05:11 PM

Red face

Did you ever check your plugs after this happens? Maybe the carb is dumping fuel and making the mixture way too rich for operating temp that the chambers are flooding. Or maybe a stuck choke? I really don't know, sorry.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 01, 09:51 PM
Senior Tech

could be a bad ground on the MSD box. it like's to grounded to the motor not the body. this is something alot of peple do and wonder why it die's.

run a 12 to 14 gage ground wire fron the MSD box to the motor and ground it out good. i like to cover the grounding bolt's with white grease to keep em from rusting and such.

i always run a ground strap from my dist. body to the a comon ground on the motor, my father taught me that one cause the chevy dist. ground's out through the shaft and the oil film can cause a ground falt. this used to a problem back in the 50's, my dad had a buddy with a vette that had this problem. it took them about a month to find it and it was cause of a racer friend that had the same problem on his race car.

i learned that if you use one ground point it help's you out! less floating ground problem's. heck i have been known to run a seperate ground wire fron the inside ground to the motor... kinda over kill but i never have a problem doing this.

[This message has been edited by ilbl8 (edited 02-20-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode