Lower Radiator Hose - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike H

I purchased a lower radiator hose from Classic Industries. It did not come with the coiled metal spring inside, like the original. The original hose and spring was in bad shape, so i trashed it. I called Classic to ask if my new hose should have it, and they said no, it doesnt come with it(even though the picture in the catalog shows it). In fact, they dont even sell it.
Anyway, i noticed that this hose sometimes flattens out when i give the carb some juice, which keeps coolant from getting through.
Anybody have any advice on this? I cant seem to locate the part at any store.

thanks,
mike

------------------
My '69 Camaro Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 05:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Don't run the car without a hose that contains the spring. Not too long ago I posted the NAPA part number I used. I think the topic was "NAPA....". If you can't find it, and want it, post here and I'll let you know.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 07:26 AM
Tech Team

I used NAPA #7400 on mine with a long water pump on my '68. I had to trim it a little but it fit very well.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 08:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Yes, that's the one. I also had to trim a little off for a no-bind fit.

------------------
Rick Dorion
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike H

thanks guys, i called the local NAPA parts house and they are getting it from their warehouse. I'm going to pick it up at 3:30p,
thanks for the help!

mike
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 09:40 AM
Tech Team

Oddly enough, I'm going to pick up my second lower radiator hose from NAPA today after work. That's weird that this topic came up.

Anyway, I originally got part #7133 which was a hose (no spring inside) with 2 90* bends in it. I believe the correct one should only have one 90* bend in it. So, today I am going to pick up, what I hope to be, the correct hose. I guess I'll look to make sure that it has a spring in it.

Should the top hose have a spring in it?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 11:07 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I never quite understood why a lower hose would collapse when the system is pressurised... I keep my old one (with a spring) as a spare. The new one I installed didn't come with the spring and I was told the spring is a main cause of corosion starting in a cooling system. I haven't witnessed any collapse yet and it's been a yr and a half and 5000+- miles. Anyway this isn't a dispute to using the spring. I just wonder about it since I chose to go without...

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 12:39 PM
Tech Team

FYI - I just picked up my radiator hose, part #7400, from NAPA and it does not have a spring in it.

The guy at NAPA told me that this is the correct hose. It's even shaped the exact same way. I'm gonna install it anyway since it is the correct hose. I'll check to see if my current one has a spring in it. If not, I think I'll be good to go. I hope.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 01, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

In a positive pressure cooling system, you can still get a negative pressure drop right before the pump volute on the suction side due to the increased surface area. I'd find a spring wire for the lower hose, personally.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 01, 03:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

My hose came with the spring inside.I wonder if someone took it out?

------------------
Rick Dorion
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 01, 04:25 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Mine's not a GM hose if that makes a diff. I was told they don't come with the spring any more. This one fit without cutting and hasn't been a problem.

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 01, 10:21 AM
Team Member
John

It may not appear to need the spring in it now, but the suction at the pump inlet is highest at cruising speed (when you can't look at it, obviously), and as the hose ages it will soften up and be more susceptible to collapsing. The parts guy is wrong - new OEM lower hoses come with springs in them.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 01, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike H

I did not get a chance to pick up the hose yesterday, so i called NAPA today to see if the hose has the spring in it. He said it did not, but that he could get one out of another hose and put it in the one need.
Its rather puzzling....

------------------
My '69 Camaro Convertible
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 01, 06:41 PM
Senior Tech

I also live in H-town (actually down in Sugar Land) and I just picked up a lower hose for my 68 at O'Reily's that has a spring in it. I'm putting in a new 4 core (fixed the A/C, and then my old one couldn't keep up) and should have it wrapped up tomorrow. If you ever have any questions about what is what, check with Bobby or Roy over at Camaro Concepts. They specialize in First Gen's (anything you are thinking about doing, they have already done), will get you the same parts as Classic for usually the same price or better and if you ever have a problem, you take it back to them rather than mail it back. The real bonus is their advice. They are over at 2236 Blalock (Blalock and about Hammerly) 713-365-9000. If you have never been there its worth the trip. Usually have 5 or 6 real nice cars around. Get on their mailing list as they do car shows twice a year (April, October). Usually about 20 to 30 real nice cars there at any given time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode