one wire conversion - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 01, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

I bought a powermaster chrome alternator from summit. It is a si one wire alternator. I cut the two middle wires and spliced the outer two wires together on the external voltage regulator. I ran the blue wire to the #1 terminal on the alternator. I ran the big red wire to the batt. terminal and a jumper wire from the batt. terminal to the # 2 terminal on the alternator.The problem i am having is it is drainging my battery when its hooked up. You get a little sparking when you hook up the positive terminal. If you unplug the plug that is connected to the #1 and#2 terminals on the alternator then it doesnt spark when you hook the batttery up. I was just wandering if something isnt hooked up right. A guy at work thought maybe i need a diode between the jumper wire and the #2 terminal. Will the alternator work if i just hook up the big red wire to the batt. terminal only? If someone could help me i would appreciate it. thanks Greg....69 camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 01, 04:33 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

I put one on my Camaro and I hooked the alt. directly to the battery by running the wire down to the battery cable on the starter. This way there is no wire hanging in the air between the alt. and the battery. I also eliminated all the other wires assosiated with the old alt. and removed the old voltage regulator. This cleaned up the looks of the car nicely.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 01, 04:38 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

Greg,
The one wire ALT has been internally modified so that all you have to do is run a wire from the Batt terminal to the junction block (or whatever + battery connection that you want). I would however suggest that you put a fusable link in the wire to protect the rest of the car.
The sparking is caused by the #1 and #2 teminals grounding the ALT.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 01, 05:28 AM
Senior Tech
Lance

Here are some directions on alternator conversions on this site. They should answer your questions. https://www.camaros.net/techref/ftecref14.html
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 01, 05:58 AM
Senior Tech

Spitfire;

Thanks for the "promotion" of the Technical Reference page, but it currently doesn't really have much more than comments on "one-wire" alternators due to my not ever using one (plus some personal reasons). I should really get off my rear and add something what with the amount of comments that appear in both the "Camaro" and "Chevelle" tech posting areas.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference Section

[This message has been edited by Wes V (edited 04-04-2001).]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 01, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

I would like to thank you guys for helping me.I am just putting all of the finishing touches to the motor compartment.I just got my 383 put in. It is suppose to have 450-500 horses. We are going to start her up for the first time this friday.I dont know about you guys,but there is nothing better than hearing a motor start up for the first time.Especially when you are running only with headers.well there might be a few things better,but its got to be right up there. Thanks again......Greg
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 01, 10:45 AM

Talking

Don't be so hard on yourself Wes, thats a great tec page anyway. I still love the Delco CS conversion I did on my 72 Elky.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode