dual exhaust - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 00, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Question

I want to run dual exhaust on my 86 IROC and some places are saying no, and some are saying yes but for a good high price. I have seen duals on a 3rd generation camaro and firebird before. Does anybody know a good shop that will do it for a decent price around the dallas/fort worth area.

------------------
no ***, no grass, no gas, no free ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 00, 07:33 AM
Senior Tech

Man, I wouldnt do that... i have seen them done and they look retarded... I dont want to make your decision for you, but these f bodies are made for a Y pipe to single to duel outlet exhaust only... because there is no room under the car to place 2 mufflers, they put them as the tailpipes.. and you have to use Very small mufflers, I would just get a edlebrock Catback on it , it will sound just as good if not better than duels...and not to mention look alot better too..
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 00, 09:51 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

You won't pass the emissions test here in Texas with duals unless you put on dual cats. There is not enough room under the driver's footwell to put a cat. If you put one there anyway, you will catch your carpet on fire. The North Texas area is about to get stuck with some pretty restrictive emissions testing, so I wouldn't do it.

Try to find a dual cat system like they used on later cars or buy an aftermarket high flow cat. You can build a single system that flows as well as a dual. Look into one of the aftermarket systems. You will be a lot happier with it than a custom job cobbled together by the local muffler shop.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my new and improved website at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 00, 10:52 AM

about the only way that you can easliy fit dual is to use glass packs(strait through design) my neighbor has a 1986 trans am with that setup. his pipes are run directly next to each other under the car in the stcok location(down the passenger side) he then has two glasspacks turn side ways like a regular camaro muffler and then has the two L shaped tail pipes exiting out the back, both right next to each other on the drivers side. sorry it is hard to explain. it sounds some what loud, but i don't like the sound of glasspacks
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 00, 05:23 AM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

If you want dual exaust for more flow, i've seen a single 4" kit recently in a major mag. Sorry i don't remember which one. A single 4" will flow a little more than dual 2.75".

------------------
67 410sb 11.76 @116.6
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 00, 07:04 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Wink

i think flowmaster sells a kit thats 3" single to a dual outlet muffler (also 3" ? )...should be just what you need.

------------------
[URL=http://hometown.aol.com/dagwould1/auto]

Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 00, 07:52 PM

I'd just go for the cat. back systems.

------------------
Severe 67
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 00, 03:54 AM

You can run duals but it does involve beating in the floor pans below the rear seats. The next problem is the rear suspension. there just isn't enough room over the axle for two pipes. You can have them exit before the rear wheels, but I would stick with a single 3" pipe. That is what I did on my 86. Sounds good works great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode