Does not sit level - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 01, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

I recently placed new rear leaf springs on my 67 convert. Standard issue was a mono-leaf system. I opted for a 4-leaf system. After getting my car back from the shop I noticed that the left rear corner was approx. 2/3 inch lower than the right corner.

Taking the car back to the shop the mechaning tells me that convertables are know for "Twist" which is a condition that may cause the car to sit lower in one corner.

Does this sound correct to anyone? I do not remember the car being unlevel with the old springs. What would be a solution to my problem? What should I tell the mechanic? Thanks in advnace for any reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 01, 09:12 PM
Senior Tech

Tell you the truth that's the way my coupe is. It's hard to notice. I'd probly recommend subframe connectors too if you have a beast for a motor.

The problem is camaros have a front subframe and a rear one. They aren't connected like most hot rods that's why when you really rev your engine the passenger side goes down. Have your wife put her foot into it while you watch it from the hood side.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 01, 06:45 AM
Kevin

Gambler, I have the exact same problem as your car. I measured a lot of reference points to garage floor and found out that the squish distance of the subframe donut was 1/2 in different between left and right sides. The 2 donuts that mount the body to the subframe on the Drivers side were worse compared to the right. The 1/2 diff is consistant left to right close to the center of car, but turns into 3/4 at the wheel lip. I plan on replacing the subframe donuts, before I do any more changes. If the car still dips on the drivers side, I'm going to swap the rear springs. Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69' Hugger Orange Z-21 ragtop 327/PG, Driver

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 01, 07:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Gambler, sorry to hear the problem, it's a pisser to do work and then have a problem afterwards. Kevin made some good points about the body bushings. I would also start measuring around the car a various locations. Is the front off a little too? It is a possibility about the body twist, especially a convert. I would start looking at the rockers below the doors and doorjamb areas and look for signs of stress. Cracked paint for example. Of course, the car could be straight also. It is also a possibility the springs are off. New or not, it's not unheard of, though rare. Try this, jackup the car, and support it by the body just ahead of the springs. Lower the rearend down and see if there's a difference on either side. My springs for example, ARE bent, the car leans to the drivers side. When I jack it up the rearend comes down unevenly. Measure the distance between bottom of tires and ground. See what ya got.
Let us know.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 03:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Gambler, did you look at anything on your car I mentioned?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Steve,
I did try some of the things you mentioned. Being a first time camaro owner it is hard for me to completly comprehend what the more experienced camaro owners tell me. I did check the rocker panels for stress. No signs of cracked paint I could notice. I also tried jacking the car up and lowering the rear end, both sides seemed to come down the same time. Assuming I worked the procedure correctly. It absolutly puzzles me that a car could have corners sit in the opposite direction.

You may have noticed that I did not major in auto mechanics in school. Being mostly self-instructed I realy rely on experts such as your self to guide me through things such as this. I can tell you that advice given to me on this site has saved me money

thanks again for your time. I have printed off what you sent me and plan on taking that to the mechanic who installed the suspension. The3 only thing that concerns me is the car did not have this problem before the new suspension.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 04:19 PM
Senior Tech

I had a similar experence. It turn out to be unequal pressure in the rear shocks (Gas Shocks). I similpy increase the air in the low side shock and it is now level. Have not noticed any performace decrease or increase. It might be a place for you to look, especially since you just replaced your rear springs. Did you also replace you shocks?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 04:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
I wouldn't call myself an expert by any stretch of my huge imagination, just trying to help out. Places that I would go first I guess. It's kinda tough to troubleshoot anything, letalone cars, via a keyboard. I wish I could see it myself. Anyway, let us know what the mechanic says after you see him. Keep us updated. Maybe we can think of something else if the mecahnic bags on ya.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 06:37 PM
Senior Tech

I have a 69 convertible and I had the same problem for a week or two until everything "settled" and then the car sat level. Not sure if this will happen in your case but I see in your other post that someone else also had the same experience so it is definitely a possibility.
Also saw it mentioned in your other post to ask the mechanic to lower the front corner of your car..sorry to say I don't think that's possible on a stock suspension.

If the car doesn't settle on it's own you can always try having the springs swapped left to right. Assuming one side of the car is naturally lower than the other and the springs also have different heights, then swapping them may even it out if the "high" spring is installed on the naturally "lower" side of the car. If swapping them only reverses which side is lower, than you will know for sure that the springs are the source of the problem and can always request to have the mechanic install another set.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 01, 05:59 PM
Tech Team

Gambler,I have a 68 rag which is almost done
after installing new front coils and rear leafs all new suspension,new subframe rubbers and subframe connectors the car sat lower on the right side. Keeping in mind that the car was hit on the right front corner,I towed it to a frame shop. They took some of the twist out of the frame on the frame machine. Seems the car had new frame rails installed and were not lined up properly. Still not satisified I towed the car to a local spring shop, they changed a leaf in the right rear spring installing a longer and thicker leaf, Pulled the right coil and installed a spacer under the coil,lined up the car 4 wheel alignment. Money well spent now the car sits perfect. I know that a lot of early Camaros were not right coming off the assembly line.Hope this helps Garry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode