need help, 160 thermostat in 99Z - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 5th, 01, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

i'm about ready to put my 160 thermo in my 99 z28, but i don't see an air bleed valve in the system to bleed the air off when refilling with coolant. i'm sure plenty of you out there have a 160 in your Z... did you have to bleed the system or not??

thanks
craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 5th, 01, 05:27 PM
David Pozzi

Think about this, if the engine does not achieve high enough temp, the computer will not go into closed loop, and if you have an automatic trans, the torque converter will not lock up until the proper temp is reached, and I've heard that will damage the trans if it does not lock up the torque converter, I think it overheats the trans.
Your mileage will suffer a lot.
Get some good info before doing this.

The real regulator of engine temp is the fan switch, which is set at a higher temp than the stat.
If the fan switch is not changed to a lower setting, the coolant may not cool down at all under slow driving conditions due to the fan not running.
But when in cooler weather or at freeway speeds, the temp may drop low enough to prevent closed loop running.
The computer may need re calibration to get what you want.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350
Can Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 05-06-2001).]
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 6th, 01, 08:30 AM
Team Member
John

As David says, 160 is not hot enough - don't do it. If you have a basic cooling system problem, changing the thermostat to a lower rating won't cure it. Why do you want to change it?

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 6th, 01, 09:38 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Guys - I think what Craig is asking about is a common mod done to 4th gen LT-1 and LS-1 cars. The stat doesn't actually cause the engine to run much cooler. When the computer is programed for the new stat (manditory for proper operation) it tells the knock sensor to lighten up a bit allowing for more advance. SLP sells a kit and there are many others selling them as well. One type you reprogram the computer another you put something inline that tricks the computer.

Craig - my '96 has the bleed screw right on the neck of the thermostat housing where the upper hose attaches...

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 6th, 01, 11:17 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

Dennis is right, these late model F-body's run HOT! Sitting in traffic, its not uncommon for the temp gauge to peg out. The 160 stat doesnt really keep it any cooler in normal driving but in traffic it can be a godsend.
My 95 Z28 has 2 bleeder valves, but I have the LT-1, I cant really say about the LS1.
Ron

------------------
95 Z28 Convertible M6
70 Chevelle SS 396,
66 Nova SS 327-350HP M20
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 9th, 01, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys. i guess i didn't fully explain myself. i was installing the hypertech power programmer and it recommended doing it concurrently with a 160 stat, since it will reprogram the computer to have much lower "on" temperatures for the fan, as well as other computer loops. i did find out, however, that 99 Z's don't have any air bleed valve at all. so anyway, thanks for the advice, she seems to be running a little cooler, and maybe it's just in my head, but i think i feel the little extra punch from the hypertech...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 9th, 01, 07:26 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by camaro305hp:
thanks guys. i guess i didn't fully explain myself. i was installing the hypertech power programmer and it recommended doing it concurrently with a 160 stat, since it will reprogram the computer to have much lower "on" temperatures for the fan, as well as other computer loops. i did find out, however, that 99 Z's don't have any air bleed valve at all. so anyway, thanks for the advice, she seems to be running a little cooler, and maybe it's just in my head, but i think i feel the little extra punch from the hypertech...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

305HP, I just recently installed the same stat on my brothers '00 Z28 and I was looking for a minute for that damn bleeder and to find out later myself they don't have one, well anyway I just wanted to tell you if you have an automatic you must get a TRANS COOLER! Believe me you will need it and your trans will love it, because it would get to the point where it was so hot that it would not power break at the track.
And it would stay in 3rd gear the whole way down.

Sorry for the long story but figured I would save you or someone else the grief down the road.

------------------
Prowling the Streets for rustangs
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 10th, 01, 02:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I did this on my 97 GMC. After a few driving cycles, the air purged. Keep an eye on the overflow container and keep it filled correctly. The problem will resolve itself. I like the Hypertech. You can also firm up shifts and change speedo readings for different tire sizes - nice when going back and forth with snows.(!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode