wiper arms & kick panels - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 00, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Question

Can anybody tell me how I can remove the wiper arms from my 69 Camaro convertible?
The 2nd question: How can I remove the kick panels when the car has no ac?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 00, 02:59 PM
Senior Tech

Oh boy oh boy, I've been through this ordeal several times. The wipers are easy. The really easy way to remove the wipers is to use a wiper removal tool. I've seen them at local auto parts stores for a couple bucks. If you are REALLY careful though or just don't care about the paint, you can use a flat-blade screwdriver. That's how I removed mine before painting the car. If you look under the wiper arm where it mounts to the shaft in the car, you will see a little clip hanging down against the car's wiper shaft. The trick is to pry outwards on this clip with the screwdriver or tool away from the shaft while simultaneously pulling up on the base of the wiper arm. Take your time and be careful.

As for the kickpanels: I have a 67 with one vent switch kick panels....I think they are basically the same as the 69's minus another flapper valve??? I don't really know. Anyways, there are several trim screws around the vent opening. Remove the screws and pull on the kick panel. It'll be very stubborn because the factory used some kind of god-awful goop to seal them against the metal underneath. (Does anybody know what that junk is?????) Just work your way around the vent opening, pulling here and there. After you free the kick panel from the goop, it should pull out a ways and then stop. There is a lip on the kick panel that is a little bit bigger than the opening in the metal, so you'll have to move the kickpanel around to work it out of the hole. That's it. On the driver's side, you'll have to remove the emergency brake mechanism first, but that's easy. When you go to put them back in, you will need to goop them back up with whatever that junk is they use, or you will forever be fighting a sopping wet floorboard everytime it rains. Believe me, I know from experience. It takes time and patience, lots of patience. Good luck. Email me if you have any questions. [email protected]

check out my car at http://156.143.139.4
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 00, 04:30 PM

Cool

**** thats one thing I never want to go through....kick panels...when I was installing my front door speakers, we routed the wire above them. We tried at first to remove those suckers....but after I realized that it would probably break in the process, it was easier to just "fish" the wires until they went thru.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 00, 10:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

What is that goop? I have mine out to spray Corroless in there. BTW - picked up some doozy skinned knuckles on this job. If/when they are resealed, where does the water drain out?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 08, 09:04 AM
Senior Tech
RJ

Re: wiper arms & kick panels

The stuff looks like plumbers putty to me, can't see why that wouldn't work to seal them back up. I think that's what I'm gonna use anyway.
rj
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 08, 09:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: wiper arms & kick panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD View Post
What is that goop? I have mine out to spray Corroless in there. BTW - picked up some doozy skinned knuckles on this job. If/when they are resealed, where does the water drain out?
Kick panels, while not one of the more involved jobs, for sure required the most cursing and resulted in the most # of parts dripping blood.

I don't know what the goop is. I reused the olf, which was still nice and pliable, and filled in with plumbers putty where more was needed.

The "natural" drainage is thru the cowl vents, thru the large holes in the upper cowl, and out the sides (inside the cowl) into the rockers and back. There are drainholes on the inner side of the rockers, near the front perches, normally covered by a rubber flap.

As the water cascades down inside the rockers, it lands right on top of the kick panel vent tubes. No seal, rusty floors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode