Carb suggestions - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 01, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
79Z

Question

Greetings all!

I've just recently completed a 350 with vortec heads and comp 268 cam, performer intake. Sitting on top of this is a qjet from a mid 70's truck.

Now it drives alright under slight to mild throttle, any more and it will stumble. I can't give it wot, it gets upset with me.

I know I'm lean, and my carb needs some tuning, probably bigger jets. I've tried tightening the secondary air flaps, minor help.

I want to take the carb off to convert it to electric choke. While I'm at it, I want to know what you think I should do for jets, metering rods, and other components before I go buy peices to rebuild it.

Any advice or recomendations appreciated.

One odd note. the car runs best with the screws all the way IN. I know this isn't common, most people I know with 2nd gens need to turn them out 3 or 4 times...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 01, 07:57 AM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

Try droping in a set of stiffer step up springs and reset your carb to the highest vacuum. I bet you'll lose your stumble. If you have the cash, get a holley 750cfm.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 01, 09:53 AM
Tech Team

I have a 750 edelbrock #1407 that worked out great for me but I had a little more cam etc. you may want to try a 650 cfm model.
Not to offend anyone I have holleys on my blower motor that work pretty good .But I dont think holley carbs are that great. I have really liked my edelbrock carbs in the past and for my blower Im going to switch to predator carbs.
just my opinion but holleys need too much attention.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 01, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
79Z

I'm sticking with quadrajet. It just needs to be tuned in. Was looking for recomendations on that.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 01, 01:10 PM

Well, it's your call, but I just went through the same problem with my old QJ. I priced out a rebuild on the QJ to a new Holley in the box, and the dollar figure was about the same, so I just bought a new one, with warranty and the whole works.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 01, 06:09 PM
Tech Team

Not sure about how good they are but edelbrock makes some performer series Q jets.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 01, 06:57 PM

Well. Im no expert but I have a lot of experiance with QJets, First they are an extreamly Under appreciated Carb, However when they are swapped off one motor and put on the next they are very problematic, first off before you try ANY modifications, Rebuild the carb, Blow all the pasagges out of the carb expecially where the idle mixture screws thred in, when that is done first off thred the screws out 2- 1/2 to 3 turns and start the car, set the Ignition timing and hook up a good tach to the engine one that will show even a 10 to 20 rpm diference then thred out the drivers idle screw until you achieve maximum RPM then do the same with the passenger once they are both set adjust the idle speed screw on the carb the the correct RPM (bout 1000 or so in park.) Then and only then you should begin playing with the secondary Meetering Rods Then save yourself a ton of hassle and Call Jet Performance (Their ad is in most Hot rod Magazines) and tell them your application they will give you advice on what metering rods to run and which hanger to run, since GM made about 50 different rod/hanger combo's. if you need anymore info feel free to E-mail me.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 01, 07:06 PM

Also just FYI Gm Truck Quadrajets are Notoriously high CFM,, a 454 QJet is 800CFM, This may also be a bit much for your aplication not knowing the casting # I cant tell you the CFM but if you get me it Ill try and ID it for you it should be on the drivers side on the side of the main body printed verticaly. This is the same number you use to order the rebuild Kit. just a sudgestion speeking from experiance take the secondary metering rods out first and carfully lift them out this will save you many hassles trust me also with the accelerator pump arm use a small nail to push out the piviot pin and remove the arm do not try to take the carb top off and wrestle the rod out of the arm, youll break it trust me I speek from experiance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode