Wheels & Shocks - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 00, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Help! I have a 73 Camaro and just put 10" wheels on the rear. I also noticed that the bottom bolt from the shock is rubbing against the inside wheel. I'd like to keep the wheels. I'm sure there's a way to keep these wheels. What can I do to avoid the shock bolt rubbing?

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 00, 10:13 AM
Senior Tech

you may have to lose them for a 10" rim with less backspacing ... that way the bolts get to the rim before the shock does, but you MAY be able to get a rim spacer from your local parts supplier, the bolt pattern is all the same for chevys 5 x 4 3/4 you may need longer (7/16) style lugnuts for the new spacer addition...

What size Monster tires you have on that thing? that is a BIG rim...

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 00, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

The wheels are 15X10 with P245/60S15. Not too huge. The shocks aren't rubbing the end of the bottom bolt from the shocks are. Isn't it possible to change the size of the bolt from the shock?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 00, 10:57 AM
Tech Team

there's a kit or something that was featured in Hot Rod a while back to move the shock mounts inside the fraimrail for tire clearance.....I think. Don't quote me, I just kind of skimed the article. sorry

------------------
Joel
1969 Z28
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 00, 11:34 AM
Senior Tech

You can move your shocks inboard, but if your running a full exhaust this probabley won't be an option. I tried to do it on my car and the exhaust pipes were right in the way of where the shock would go. How bad is the shock hitting? I did this on a nova I had, since there is some room between the shock and the leaf spring, you can make your own lower shock mount by either cutting and re-welding the lower shock mount closer to the spring, or what I did and make a hole new lower shock mount. I took some 3/8" steel and drilled holes in it where the U-bolts go through and the center hole, I did this using the original as a template, and make a tab for lower shock mount. Bolt the new plate under the spring and bolt the shock to the new tab. Move the shock as close as you can to the spring, allowing a little clearence, and then weld the shock mount. This might give you 3/8" to 1/2" of extra clearence depending on you vehicle and shocks, and might solve your problem.

------------------
68 468 700R4
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 00, 05:22 AM
Senior Tech

Those are very wide wheels for 245 tires. I'm running 255/45's on 8" wheels and they're fine. You may have to trade down to 9's or 8's to get the fit right - to stay with 10's I would guess would require custom backspacing and a little wheelwell massaging.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 00, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Wink

Well, I put on new shocks and just cut the excess bolt off that was impeding on the rim. This should work. There's about 1/2" clearance now. Any comments on this method?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode