RS Back up - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 99, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Does anybody know of a way to accurately locate the back up lights in the rear valance, inner and outer, on a 68. I've tried the assembly manual. I've tried Classic Templates. Can't trace from another car because I don't know anyone that has one that would let me pull the lights out to trace the holes. Is there anything anywhere with measurements. How did the factory or Fisher Body know? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Great site!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 99, 08:30 AM

Hi, I have the same year and model as you. I can make some measurements and post them here on Wednesday. You're familiar with that area, what references do you want me to use to measure from.
Regards,
don
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 99, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Don
That would be greatly appreciated. I've met more nice people on the internet in the car hobby than anywhere. First would probably be the dimensions of the holes. To measure height you can maybe go up from the bottom of the valance. There is a flange on the bottom of the valance where it spot welds to the inner panel. Maybe take the measurement from the beginning of the flange? Or you could go from the top and measure down from where the rear panel sticks out (middle of panel, hidden by bumper when its on but easily felt under bumper). Side to side could be measured from the license plate hole? or from the seam where it meets the rear quarter. If you give the measurements of the hole it will help center it. I'm sorry its hard to explain. I will take the measurements from anywhere its possible for you. I don't know if your car is completely together and I want to make it easy for you. As far as the inner valance I have no idea where to tell you to measure from. If i can get the outer measurements I may be able to figure out the inner so I may be ok with that. I will take any measurements you can give me. I just really appreciate you offering to do so. I have been looking for the information for a while with no luck and now I am about to install a new rear end panel and didn't want to install it until I had the info. Thanks again. This will be a big help, Peter

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 99, 08:36 AM

Hello Peter
I'll try this again, last time my message was lost. 1st of all I hope that you have the light assemblies or are planning on ordering them before you start this work. It will make life easier. My lights are installed already and I don't feel like pulling them out. Outside dimensions of the chrome trim is 5" long x 2-3/8" tall. From the nearest edge of the licence plate hole to the ouside of the closest edge of the chrome trim is 14-3/4". Above the light there is a crease in the panel. The top of the chrome is 1" down from this. I took the following measurements on the backside of the panel. The light is mounted through a circular cutout in the panel - this has a 2" diameter. The two studs that hold the light in place are 2.5" center to center. The hole on the backside is 1-5/8" from the inside of the frame. If you take a solid ruler and measure from the bottom of the hole to the tab that sticks out of the bottom of the panel that measurement is 3-1/4". Hope this helps. Ask if u need more
don
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 99, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Don
I do already have the back up lights and your measurements are great. With a pencil I traced the outline of the lights on the new rear end panel at the measurments you gave. With the help of your measurements I can see that they are centered with the tail light above it which helps in the side to side measurement. The one inch down from the crease measurement is easy enough. I didn't have a chance to check out the inner panel measurements but between your measurements and having the hole cut in the outer panel it should be easy enough also to accomplish. That was a big help. Thank you. Maybe just one more question if you don't mind. Where does the hole in the trunk floor go for the wire grommet? Thanks again for the help, Peter
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 99, 10:45 AM

Hi, I'll check that when I get home but I won't be back into work until Monday. I'll try and get a response by Friday but can't promise.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 99, 07:49 PM

I have a 67 RS valance what I can take the inner and outer measurements from. I think 67 and 68 are the same. Let me know if you are interested. John
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 99, 03:51 AM

HEY PETER
Here we go. On the left hand side of the car(driver) there is a bumper bracket on the trunk pan. The center of the hole is right of the right edge of the bracket 2". Where the trunk pan comes up at the back of the car measure from the crease in the bend towards the front of the car and this is 2-3/4" to the center of the hole. As far as I can tell the hole diameter is just a shade smaller than 1/2". I'm not sure why, it may be because I have several coates of trunk spray around the hole or that's the actual size. An accurate measurement of the diameter of the grommet hole in my car is 15/32" use your judgement I guess. The rubber grommet is inserted from the bottom of the car up. Have a good un, don
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 99, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Don
Thanks for the measurements. I will check them out tonight. I am sure they are perfect. I cut the holes in the new rear end panel and they came out great. Haven't cut the holes in the inner panel yet as I have to finish fitting the rear panel before I cut the holes . Just makes sense to wait anyway. Everything is coming out great and I am real happy. Thanks for all your measurements and spending the time to do so. It was perfect timing. My other issue was getting the back up lights to work as I am using a Hurst Competition Plus shifter and was at a loss. If anyone is using this shifter and can't get the back up lights to work Rick's First Gen. now sells a Hurst bracket and switch that mounts to the shifter body so the back up lights will work. Thanks again Don and I am glad you found your spindle!! Happy cruising, Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode