IROC racing - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 01, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

Hey all, I know this doesn't have much to do with performance but I have written some stuff on here before, thanks again for the suggestions and I decided to go with these mods,
52mm throttle body
Ram air setup w/K&N filters
New intake manifold
Performance chip stage 2
Advance timing
New Dyno-max cat-back exhaust
Anywayz My friend just bought a '86 944 turbo and i'm startin to panic. He's a good driver and I likewise would think of myself as decent. Back to the story, my 1990 305 IROC is good lookin' but when my good buddy asked if I wanted to race him (about a 1/4 mile straight) I was hesitant, its all stock on his but still...... Its a porsche. I know nothing of them. So my question is, will he dust the floor with me? And force me to add more mods onto my beast? Or will my American Muscle hold up to his zippy german-mobile (not that I have anything against porsches).
please respond, i'm a little frantic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 01, 10:02 AM

217hp (him) vs. 170hp (you).
You lose.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 01, 10:30 AM

NastyZ what are you talking about? he doesn't have 170 hp! the stock 305 TPI that came with the 1990 iroc-z had 210 hp stock and with all those mods its well above his competition.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 01, 12:28 PM

Your right, I was thinking the L03 motor, but he has the LB9.
OK,
217hp (him) vs. 210 + 20? (you)
(you) Lugging around an extra 5 - 800 pounds.
(you) poor gearing (assumed).

You still lose. but not by as much anymore.

OK, seriously. Who cares if this thing is a Porsche, ricemobile, LS1.... go race your car at the closest drag strip in your area. Since you can drive your car around, getting to a track shouldn't be a big deal. Race your car and get the ET.

From this, you can figure out who you can take or not. What's a porsche 944 turn in the 1/4 mile? probably high 14's, low 15's maybe? What's this IROC turn? Mid 15's probably. Get the time slip and find out.

Then if your friend wants to shoot his mouth off, both you and him go to the track and race each other (after you find out what you run - cause you'll know what to expect.

Don't be surprised if you actually trip the timers at mid to high 15's. This is usually slow enough to be embarassed by some of the more sporty stuff driving around town.

I'm assuming this car will run mid 15's. And I'm assuming the 944 will run low 15's.
Which is why I predict orion_uv will be looking at the porsches tail lights moments after stepping on the gas.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 01, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

thanks, but the Camaro IROC-Z 305 has 235hp stock. Plus the mods so..............
I dunno I guess I'll have to see
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 01, 05:13 PM

Oh you must have a 5-speed 305 TPI then
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 01, 05:23 PM

If you're sitting down, I was cruising over at thirdgen.org and noticed a fellow who had a sig with ET.
With the mods you have mentioned, BUT HE HAS THE L98 350 TPI engine - he runs 15.4 ET's.

If you got a couple bux in your pocket, I'd go out and put 3.73 gears in your car. You'll be very happy.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 01, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

My car has the 1LE option, it came with 3.42 gears and 12inch corvette disk brakes in the back, aswell as aluminum components throughout the car, aswell as a low tire pressure warning and a transmission cooler (might be a oil cooler, havent checked yet)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 01, 12:47 PM

NastyZ 15.4 on his 1/4 mile? thats really pretty ****ty for a 350 TPI modified. he must be a really bad driver, or he had a bad start because he shoudl be getting better then that right?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 01, 03:26 PM

The car probably has a 2.77 rear in it. 15's seems to be spot on. My porky 80Z with a 350 and 3.42 gears in it was only a 16 second job from the factory. I'm just trying to help this fellow set his expectations. Lots of people have 350's and stuff and then go to the track and run a high 15 or low 16 and wonder what happened.

It takes a lot of work (work, time, effort, money, power or combination of) to get through the 14's and into the 13's, or deeper.

The other thing is the above guy just listed his ET. You need a combination of data to make a decision about what happened.

From personal experience, I had a run of this:
[email protected] w/2.9 60 foot (with a .520 light). This combination of information shows this run was terrible, except for the reaction time.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 01, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

well anywayz thanx for ur help guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode