SR TORKER HEADS AND STOCK HEADS - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 01, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

BEEN looking at vorteck heads and sr torker heads for 305 stroker. My question is what ics the biggest cc can you get for the heads on a 305.. My stock heads are 58cc casting numbers 450. If im not mistaken the sr torker heads are the same cc What does that mean and what will is the difference betwen the 2 heads. thanks!

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 01, 09:17 AM

The stock Votecs will need different springs if you get wilder on the cam, and adding srew in studs will help. But then you have the special intake, and self aligning rockers. The S/R's are already done, and you can use any older style rockers and intakes.

Count my vote for the S/R Torquers with 58cc chambers.

------------------
383 Speed-O-Motive stroker kit with Speed Demon 750, RPM intake,Proform HEI dist.MSD6a box,World Products Sportsman II heads, ported and polished with 2.02/1.60 valves,64cc,TRW forged pistons with 10.7:1 compression, Comp Xtreme 284 cam,Crane pushrods, Comp Cam 1.6 full roller rockers,ATI damper, 40 series Flowmasters, 4.11 gears with TH350 and Hughes 3000 stall.Powertrax NoSlip Locker
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 01, 02:34 PM
Senior Tech

I'd have to agree with Tracy! I priced out the vortecs and it's about $700-850 for em with the special intake and rockers and valve covers (it's like $600-650 for the intake M and heads I think). Then add better springs and screw in studs. I think Dart may also have some decently priced heads for a 305 not sure though. The local head shop (one of the ones the dragsters use) recommended the iron Darts and he wouldn't have made anything off me to boot and knew it.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 01, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thumbs up

What type of cam would be good with the sr torker heads.Want to go wild with it.And intake. Going to have 411 gears and have 3 speed stick on colum.

------------------
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 01, 07:37 PM
Senior Tech

I got a set of the torquers and there is some advantages I was'nt aware of. I put a set off full roller rockers on, and the stock valve covers cleared to my suprise. The higher rails is what did it I think.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 01, 04:42 AM

Kevy,
I like the Comp line of cams. If you want a nice torque cam, with a nice lopey idle, get the XE268.

------------------
383 Speed-O-Motive stroker kit with Speed Demon 750, RPM intake,Proform HEI dist.MSD6a box,World Products Sportsman II heads, ported and polished with 2.02/1.60 valves,64cc,TRW forged pistons with 10.7:1 compression, Comp Xtreme 284 cam,Crane pushrods, Comp Cam 1.6 full roller rockers,ATI damper, 40 series Flowmasters, 4.11 gears with TH350 and Hughes 3000 stall.Powertrax NoSlip Locker
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 01, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Talking

Thanks guys, I appreicate the info. Does anyone like the elderblock carburetors. IM new at this and I want my set up to work good. This is the plan so far let me know if its good or what well help. The block is at the machine shop now. He boring to 30! and putting in freeze plugs and cam berins. I called him today he said the vortech will work but not with 202 valves. have to go with 194 and change the springs. I found the kit to make it a stroker waiting on the catalog to come in. havent made up mind with heads yet. VORTEH OR SR TORKERS!,biggest cam to be put in with very nice chop. not to big to hurt my power. dual plane carb,and 750cfm. Will be running 411 with positve . on a 3 speed manual on coulm (that will be put on the floor). Like I said this is my first one so any Info I will very much appreicate... Thanks again guyS!!!!!!

------------------
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 01, 12:21 PM
Senior Tech
John

If you can get pistons to keep the compression at around 9:1 with the 64cc chambers I would go with the Vortec heads. The numbers show that they flow better. I have read that adding larger than stock valves (i.e. bigger than 1.94/1.50) to these heads will hurt flow and would not work with your 305's bore anyway.

The 305's small bore tend to stifle the high rpm flowing rate, but it will still make respectable power with the heads and the stroker kit. As for a cam I would go with a Comp Xtreme Energy grind, probably the XE256. This cam will offer good drivability and some good power from idle up. If you engine originally came with a roller cam, I would go with another roller cam, but if not check into Comp's XE line. Good luck.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 01, 05:34 PM
Senior Tech

HEADS: I just came from the machine shop and we got on the subject of cylinder heads: Quoting the machine shop owner "I can have or build any set of heads I want, and I put on SR Torkers." - and no, I wasn't buying, he's building a # match for motor for me & knew he wasn't selling me anything. PS: Keep 1.94's- they'll make more torque over 2.02s. 2.02 add top end HP, but only if you CONSISTENTLY live in the 5500-6500rpm range.
CARB: As for Edelbrock carbs, I've put them on 3 different cars & finally talked my neighbor into dumping his Holley 4110. He says its the best his car has run in 7 years. My opinion - If not # match, then its edelbrock!! Highly recommended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode